Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Daughters car won’t start

Post by Andyhereford »

Daughter went to drive her “new to her” 1963 four door, standard engine, to work this morning and it would not start. Battery good but engine would not turn over. Looks like there is no current getting to the starter motor. Is a failed solenoid the most likely culprit. If so is there any easy way of checking. The car was going fine last evening. Is a solenoid something that will suddenly fail?
Any help or advice as always gratefully received.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Daughters car won’t start

Post by svenedin »

A solenoid can suddenly fail and there are some really rubbish modern reproduction types. I have had one get stuck in the on position which is rather alarming. More likely is a bad connection somewhere. Check connections at battery terminals, solenoid and starter motor.

The original solenoids had a button you could push which will start the car from under the bonnet (with ignition on). You might still have that type.

You can test the starter motor by connecting a jump lead directly from the live battery terminal to the starter motor live terminal. Be careful. It draws a big current

If it is the solenoid at fault do not skimp and buy a cheap one.
Last edited by svenedin on Fri May 26, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Starting handle?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Myrtles Man wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:08 am Starting handle?
Definitely what I would do but there’s a knack to it!

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

There is a knack, but its not difficult in any way. In fact, as long as the engine is set up properly and 'in tune' it will start easily on the handle. But whether you try and start by pushing the under-bonnet button (if you have one) or use the handle, make sure the car is out of gear first!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:15 am There is a knack, but its not difficult in any way. In fact, as long as the engine is set up properly and 'in tune' it will start easily on the handle. But whether you try and start by pushing the under-bonnet button (if you have one) or use the handle, make sure the car is out of gear first!
I did an experiment with the starting handle. It’s rather tricky with a Hall effect electronic ignition fitted. Easier with standard points. Cold engine can be slow to start but a doddle with a hot engine. Can be potentially dangerous on a car with unknown ignition timing (kick back). Thumbs out of the way!

Starting handle has been my “party trick” since my teens :D

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

When I first had a car I used to start it regularly with a starting handle - largely because a battery was so expensive in those days. I've never found it particularly difficult and it's certainly a good thing to have mastered in case you need it one day :wink:
As others have said, probably the switch, solenoid (depending on the model) or the starter.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

svenedin wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:54 am
myoldjalopy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:15 am There is a knack, but its not difficult in any way. In fact, as long as the engine is set up properly and 'in tune' it will start easily on the handle. But whether you try and start by pushing the under-bonnet button (if you have one) or use the handle, make sure the car is out of gear first!
I did an experiment with the starting handle. It’s rather tricky with a Hall effect electronic ignition fitted. Easier with standard points. Cold engine can be slow to start but a doddle with a hot engine. Can be potentially dangerous on a car with unknown ignition timing (kick back). Thumbs out of the way!

Starting handle has been my “party trick” since my teens :D
Yes, it can be both difficult and potentially dangerous if the timing is too advanced due to 'kick-back'. That is why I mentioned the engine must be properly set-up and in tune. The majority of hard-to-start issues (whether on the starter motor or the handle) are due to a fault in the ignition system - either a component failure or a faulty set-up.
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Thanks for all your replies especially the one that actually referred to the issue of the solenoid! Cleaned all the terminals as suggested and it all seems to be working fine again.
Best wishes
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Excellent! A 1963 car probably just has a pull switch doesn't it? They can sometimes fail to make contact.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Andyhereford wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:55 pm Thanks for all your replies especially the one that actually referred to the issue of the solenoid! Cleaned all the terminals as suggested and it all seems to be working fine again.
Best wishes
Marvellous! 12 volts is not much potential difference. Dirty or loose contacts can really mess things up to the point of “no go”. This is despite a large current to the starter. That’s why the wires are so thick.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Although you appear to have it sorted now by cleaning terminals, it's worth mentioning that when I had the same symptoms almost a year ago, it was the battery connection.
See this link for the tale... viewtopic.php?t=75196
Basil the 1955 series II

Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Thanks Geoberni
Have checked the battery leads on my daughters car and they both look alright. However the positive lead on my Morris does have a slight kink on it that a previous owner has covered up with insulation tape. Will have a closer look under the tape and will replace it if needed.