Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Klooid
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Self Cancelling Indicator Trigger

Post by Klooid »

Hi All,
I have a new indicator stalk on order, and hence I am planning to remove the steering wheel etc, but in advance of dismantling I’d like to check with you as to what is the correct position for the self cancelling indicator trigger / bolt as mine is positioned as per photo.

Thanks.
Attachments
PXL_20230602_073657184_Original.jpeg
PXL_20230602_073657184_Original.jpeg (1017.57 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Self Cancelling Indicator Trigger

Post by svenedin »

Put simply, with the front wheels pointing straight ahead the self cancelling “peg” on the steering column should be in the middle of the indicator stalk mechanism. Be aware the outer steering column can be rotated to change the alignment of the indicator stalk mechanism relative to the self-cancelling peg. The outer steering column also has up and down adjustment.

When fitting the indicator assembly you will see a peg that must engage in a hole in the outer steering column. This prevents the indicator assembly from slipping. The photo shows the peg and the 2x self-cancelling cams. The steering column self-cancelling peg sits centrally between these 2 cams and must be correctly adjusted for height as well. The photo is taken with the assembly upside down to show this (it is installed the other way up).

Grease the slip ring where the horn contact "shoe" slides and also a little dab of grease on the steering column self-cancelling peg.

Your self-cancelling peg is a different shape to the one on my car. I wonder whether yours is a replacement.

Stephen
IMG_8948.jpeg
IMG_8948.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1586 times
Last edited by svenedin on Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

With the front wheels straight ahead, it should be mid-way between the two "catches" on the indicator switch, in line with the arm or stalk. Remove the pinch bolt from the bottom of the column, lift the column clear of the rack and rotate to get the trigger in the correct position and then refit to the rack and install the pinch bolt. The outer column and the switch can be adjusted for final positioning.
chrischris59
Minor Friendly

Post by chrischris59 »

I did this job on my car last week the peg needs to a quarter turn to the right so it sits between the to cams. I undid the clamp on the Colum inside the car and rotated it to right position just have to re centre the wheel now.
Klooid
Minor Friendly

Post by Klooid »

Hi, Thanks for your reply, which is much appreciated and I now know why the indicator didn’t self cancel given that the photo was taken when the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Thanks again.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Klooid wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:55 am Hi, Thanks for your reply, which is much appreciated and I now know why the indicator didn’t self cancel given that the photo was taken when the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Thanks again.
Before you put everything back together test and test again. It is easier and kinder to the steering mechanism to jack the front wheels off the ground to do this as you will probably be turning the wheels from one side to the other quite a few times to get the self-cancelling working correctly every time. I added a photo to my post above. Also be aware that you must make sure that the plastic indicator assembly shroud when fitted does not in any way interfere with the free movement of the indicator stalk.

Stephen

Stephen
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

Just a thought. Whilst everything is apart consider changing the indicator arm to the lest side as in modern cars. I did this years ago after constantly turning the wipers on when signaling left. All you have to do is put the steering column upside down.
IMG_1751r Large.jpeg
IMG_1751r Large.jpeg (135.17 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

If you are going to disturb the steering column make sure you take off thr indicator swith 1st. It's very easy to brake the switch on thr horn contact otherwise ........
Klooid
Minor Friendly

Post by Klooid »

Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks again for your help and guidance on my indicator switch, and I am so grateful to a wealth of experience behind me within this messaging board.

I have now received and fitted the new Indicator Stalk which has the appropriate copper pad to connect the horn and a fully functioning cancelling lugs, as well as the warning light now working.

However, I have now a problem with the warning (green) light being on (although dim) all the time once I switch the ignition, and to glow full strength when selecting the indicator left or right.

Although the wiring looks a bit of a mess, I have checked the flasher unit with a tester, an that suggests that when the ignition is on both the B (X) L & P terminals are live, which I assume is giving this constant light on the stalk?

Therefore, have you any thoughts as to what is going on please?

Thanks again.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Are you sure you have connected all of the wires correctly? When I fitted a new indicator stalk not all of the wires followed the old wire colours.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Generally the warning light being on constantly is a sign that the flasher unit has failed.
Klooid
Minor Friendly

Post by Klooid »

Hi, Yes I have checked a few time, and have re-checked again just now with a fresh head on, and the Green cable from the “P” terminal on the flasher unit is still constantly live, once the ignition switch is on. Therefore, I am beginning to think that the problem is in the wiring up to the flasher unit? By the way, I have installed a new flasher unit, compatible with a MM.

Therefore, if I disconnect the green wire to the indicator warning light (from the P link) the L & R indicators work ok, and with the self cancelling now working, at least I’m not forgetting to turn them off.

So, I am scratching my head as to the source of this fault?

Thanks.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

It could be that you have the flasher unit B and L wires reversed, they used to be marked X and L.
It won’t do harm to reverse them. Assuming it isn’t an electronic version.
B = Battery (ignition switch) Green wire
L = Load (indicator switch) Green/Brown wire
P = Pilot (tale tell) Light Green wire

Regards John
Klooid
Minor Friendly

Post by Klooid »

Hi All, Thanks for your responses which is greatly appreciated. I have also today ordered a genuine Lucas flasher unit, just in case that the (new) one I have is faulty?

I’ll give an update once received to let you how I get on.

Thanks again.
Klooid
Minor Friendly

Post by Klooid »

Hi All,
I can’t believe it, but by swapping the new generic flasher unit for a new genuine Lucas version, and everything works okay.

So, thanks again for your contribution.