Metal gauges used in Minors

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CMee
MMOC Member: Yes

Metal gauges used in Minors

Post by CMee »

When I posted last month to ask about nut and bolts used on Minors I was directed to some very useful lists in the Mechanical section.

Is there a similar list giving details of the metal thicknesses/gauges used in the Minor's panels and chassis sections or do folk follow a simple rule of one gauge for body panels and a thicker one for chassis repairs?

Thanks in anticipation.

C M
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Metal gauges used in Minors

Post by simmitc »

I did attempt to find out what steel was used over the years, mainly to answer a question of whether it got thinner to save costs; but regretfully the records at Gaydon do not shed any light on it.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Metal gauges used in Minors

Post by oliver90owner »

Personally, I don’t rely on such tables. I don’t recognise ‘thinner and thicker’ - they are too subjective. I would replace with the same gauge or the next available up. Never skimp by using thinner sections for any load-bearing member.

Simmitc was correct in that changes in manufacture were made for economy. But the steels used for load-bearing members became more consistent and predictable.

Assessing the thickness of the metal is not difficult. Measured properly gets avoids any incorrect assumptions that may be going round.