Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Clutch question

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Just started driving my aunts convertible that she’d had parked up for a good few years but I’ve noticed the clutch is very snatchy when setting off. Is that the release bearing? As I can sometimes here it squealing in reverse.

I’m wondering do I buy a new release bearing or buy a whole clutch kit? 🤷‍♂️
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Clutch question

Post by philthehill »

If the clutch is snatchy and has not been used for some time it could be rust on the flywheel and pressure plate.
My advice is to use the car and see if the clutch improves with use.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I'd very much 2nd that response from Phil; I've had cars parked up a few months and had the clutch has been 'snatchy' for a while, so after, in your words 'a good few years' I'd just expect it to be a bit difficult.
You've not quantified the 'Just started driving', are you talking days or weeks?
It depends on the driving you're doing, it'll be the number of Clutch operations that will hopefully make a difference to it, not the total mileage. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

The car was parked for 4 years roughly. I’ve done a good bit of work getting it back on the road & I’ve just started using it for my short commute to work. I only take it to work maybe 2-3 times per week when the weathers nice.

I’ll take it a good long drive someday & see if it gets better with longer use.

Would the release bearing squealing be down to lack of use also?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Look through the spare release lever aperture in the gearbox bell housing and see what the condition of the release bearing is.
Again it could be rust.

MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Another thing I just note is that there is very little free travel in the pedal between foot to the floor & the clutch biting. It’s extremely short travel compared to my other cars & also my other minor saloon.

Could this also be cause of snatchy clutch?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It may be that the clearance is wrong (see manual for details).
All you can do is set the clearance as per the manual and try the clutch operation.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Certainly check the adjustment, but before you rush to fit a new clutch check every component of the clutch linkage for wear. A bit of wear here and there can add up to a lot at the pedal and the parts are not expensive. A whole kit of new parts is only about £30.00 from ESM etc and it is worth paying a little extra for a polyurethane relay shaft bush instead of the usual rubber one. Once the adjustment is set up correctly and a correct return spring fitted it is often surprising how much better the clutch pedal feels and operates.