Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tommac
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel not pumping through

Post by Tommac »

After a mouthful of petrol and no proper syphon operation I have a hand operated syphon thingy arriving tomorrow. I really hope I can disconnect the fuel pipe and clear out the pipe with a track pump.
Tom MacMorran
Tommac
Minor Friendly

Post by Tommac »

Ok it’s working and thanks everyone for contributing.

I eventually had to remove the fuel tank. With the fuel gauge sender removed I could see that there was a filter on the end of the pipe. I used fuel to flush out the tank ( by inverting it) several times. There was a lot of rust. I used a bicycle track pump to clear the tank to the filter and the fuel pipe back to the pump. Reconnected, it all worked. I just need to get a new gasket for the fuel gauge sender ( which hadn’t been working properly- it was covered in dust-like corrosion) and new screws for the tank plus renew the gasket. Thanks again.
Tom MacMorran
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Well done and thank you for letting us know the outcome because closure in a thread helps others in the future.

Happy motoring!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Note that there have been several posts about leaks from the fuel gauge sender after re-installation. It might be worth your while searching to see how they were resolved.
Don
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I fitted a new tank several years ago now and there was a leak around the sender. I tightened up the screws and it was OK for a month or two, then it started to leak again. I tightened the screws again and it has been fine for years now. I'm not sure how the screws could have loosened though, its a bit odd...
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:19 am Yes, I fitted a new tank several years ago now and there was a leak around the sender. I tightened up the screws and it was OK for a month or two, then it started to leak again. I tightened the screws again and it has been fine for years now. I'm not sure how the screws could have loosened though, its a bit odd...
There is another thread about this that I have just revived. Perhaps the cork gasket takes time to settle at a stable thickness and until it does the screws become loose after a while? Maybe the cork swells and contracts in response to its moisture content depending on the atmospheric humidity. Greasing the gasket liberally would in theory prevent moisture affecting the gasket?

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I don't think I did grease the gasket but it would probably be a good idea.
Tommac
Minor Friendly

Post by Tommac »

I’ll keep my eye on it thank you. As you know it’s not instantly accessible as the boot shelves need to be unbolted and removed. I got the Moggy out today for the first time after fixing the rust problem and she went well. I had the usual problem of stopping but don’t want to fit modern brakes.
Tom MacMorran