Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peted7202
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicator Switch Wiring

Post by Peted7202 »

I have a new indicator switch with the following wiring. Brown, Black, Green, Green/White, Green/Red and Green/Yellow. Advice please regarding the connections for these?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Indicator Switch Wiring

Post by svenedin »

I replied to another member’s enquiry on this issue recently and for once I gave the correct answer according to the OP :lol: . I’ve been at a car show and had too much sun and I can’t work out the answer now!

Stephen

viewtopic.php?p=689772&hilit=indicator#p689772
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well I'm probably not the best placed to answer this, because I'm guessing that you're referring to a column mounted combined switch.
Not something I have on mine.

Of course, nobody knows what sort of stalk you have, with or without the Horn for example.

Everything you've listed there are colours I'd expect as per the standard Wiring Diagram Colours.

Battery Live, Earth, Fused Ign Live, RH Indicators, LH Indicators...

The only oddball is Green/Yellow, which are supposed to be Oil Pressure related.

So whatever is on the stalk, but I haven't mentioned, by Sherlockian powers of deduction, that's most likely what they're for.

I've a feeling I've seen something about this recently, have you tried using the Search?
:-?
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:39 pm Well I'm probably not the best placed to answer this, because I'm guessing that you're referring to a column mounted combined switch.
Not something I have on mine.

Of course, nobody knows what sort of stalk you have, with or without the Horn for example.

Everything you've listed there are colours I'd expect as per the standard Wiring Diagram Colours.

Battery Live, Earth, Fused Ign Live, RH Indicators, LH Indicators...

The only oddball is Green/Yellow, which are supposed to be Oil Pressure related.

So whatever is on the stalk, but I haven't mentioned, by Sherlockian powers of deduction, that's most likely what they're for.

I've a feeling I've seen something about this recently, have you tried using the Search?
:-?
Berni it's actually green/light brown. Green/yellow is heater or at least it is on my late car.

Stephen
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

Thanks
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:48 pm
Berni it's actually green/light brown. Green/yellow is heater or at least it is on my late car.
It actually depends on the year, I was just referring to the ones as per the AKD530 W/shop manual. Later cars don't follow the diagrams.

The standard colours originated as a 'Lucas Standard' for their looms, way back in the dark ages, well late 1940s as near as I can tell, but the manufacturers didn't always follow it.
By 1963, it had evolved into BS-AU7, but British Standards are not mandatory, so again they didn't always follow it.
If you look at the diagrams in the AKD530, from the introduction of the Oil Light with latter SII (Plate N30) , through to the final Plate N46 (Models with Alternator) they list Green/Yellow as Oil Light, .... but by the time it became the BS in 1963, the 'standard' was already using that combination for the Heater control.

I don't think they 'could be asked' to update the wiring diagrams, just a symptom of the overall decline of general standards and quality in the Motor industry in the 60s IMHO.
From what I've seen in other discussions, it's not the only deviation, there's another one involving the Interior light if I recall correctly.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I try hard to read the workshop manual but even with my watchmaking visor it’s tricky. What is annoying is that this modern “Lucas” part (which in this particular case is genuinely made in England) does not follow the colour code Lucas pretty much invented themselves. As you say, it became BS-AU7

Stephen
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

Here's the wiring for the Lucas Column Switch 31883 from ESM. It's green, brown, black, green/white, green/red and green/yellow. Green/yellow is difficult to see the yellow stripe.
20230722_162846.jpg
20230722_162846.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1882 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Did you sort this out? I replied to another thread and made a table to explain how to wire up these new switches. Your switch seems to have yet different coloured wiring at least the green/yellow but the table may help anyway.......

Stephen
‎Lucas New Indicator colours.‎1.jpeg
‎Lucas New Indicator colours.‎1.jpeg (131.99 KiB) Viewed 1834 times

Stephen