Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Swampy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Horn and indicators

Post by Swampy »

Afternoon thanks for all your help have done the lamp test still blowing the fuse. Still can't find the meter and just done my last fuse never mind 🙃 joys of old cars. Thanks John.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I think you may have four terminals on your horn, that is two double connectors for the supply and two double connectors for the earth return via the horn push, it’s to make fitting a second horn easier. I think you have the supply and earth return on the same double connector on the horn, so when you press the horn you are putting a short cross the supply. Worth a look, just needs the one wire moving to the opposite terminal.
I hope you understand it, I’m not very good at explaining things.
It doesn’t explain the lamp test unless you still had the two wires joined together by mistake.

Perhaps before you do any thing else, remove both wires from the horn and press the horn to see if the fuse blows, you can fit a high wattage 55W bulb (solder it to a blown fuse on short leads) in place of the fuse to limit the current, if the lamp glows bright the fuse would have blown, saves the expense of fuses and saves the loom, it may be the wires connected wrong under the dash.
A bulb will probably limit the current too much to make the horn sound, but is OK for the above test without the horn connected.
If it is a wiring issue under the dash, it will be that you have connected a Purple wire to the Brown/Black wire from the indicator stalk. Only the Purple/Black wire needs to connect to the Brown/Black wire.

Regards John
Swampy
Minor Friendly

Post by Swampy »

OK thanks for that I'll have a look tomorrow the horn has only two connectors but not original looks a new type. Off to a car show this morning might be able to pick up some more tips and bits for mine 🙂 thanks again. Swampy
Swampy
Minor Friendly

Post by Swampy »

Good evening all good news we now have a working horn👍.somehow I'd connected a plain purple wire with the brown and purple with black trace. Apologies for the hassle and would like to a big thanks for everyone who has helped me out. Regards swampy.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well just glad you found it, there wasn't many things to go wrong, it was just a case of working through it logically. :tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II

Swampy
Minor Friendly

Post by Swampy »

Thanks again everyone 👍.swampy