Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Different !

Post by les »

I’ve been looking through some old books, and I mean old ! Picture is of a water cooled motorcycle engine, with the radiators either side of the cylinder !
IMG_3130.jpeg
IMG_3130.jpeg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 924 times

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Different !

Post by Bill_qaz »

This illustration is probably from the first volume of 'The Book of the Motor car' by Rankin Kennedy published not long before the start of WW1.

It is described as being made to Greens patents, but presumably built by the Precision company, and incorporates the two radiators either side of the cylinder as a complete package.

In a later volume of R.K. it has one of those multi-layered fold back drawings of this engine, but no mention of what vehicle it was used, or if it ever was.
Perhaps the idea didn't work out too well in practice - although no hoses, or potentially troublesome hose clips, or twisted wire, seem to be used between radiators and engine cylinder, the air flow through the radiators look's rather restricted.

The Slinger company had a similar idea way earlier in 1901, see below, using a single cylinder De-Dion engine surrounded by the radiator, and with distinctly dicey looking steering arrangements, only the very front wheel steered evidently.
10.8.2023. 1901 model at Pioneer run - From B.M-S Veteran scene0004.jpg
10.8.2023. 1901 model at Pioneer run - From B.M-S Veteran scene0004.jpg (387.54 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Regards Bill
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for the response Bill, yes you’re right about the book. I have three volumes I think there might have been a fourth. It’s amazing seeing the inventions of a bygone era, it must have been an exciting time.

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Yes easy for modern day detractors but if it were not for the pioneer engineers of the past we would not be were we are now. :tu1:

A friend of mine into veteran vehicles identified the book.
Here's one of his machines
1925-Seal-980CC-Motorcycle-5-scaled.jpeg
1925-Seal-980CC-Motorcycle-5-scaled.jpeg (41.74 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

In a similar vein, look at early Aviation. Periods of rapid innovation coincide with conflict, otherwise slowly plodding along with random thoughts, especially in the early 1900s.
I believe this helicopter design is around 1919/20... :o .
But it was all slowly building knowledge of aeronautics...
1919.JPG
1919.JPG (61.25 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Basil the 1955 series II