Fuel pump clicking but blowing bubbles

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
FAO51
MMOC Member: No

Fuel pump clicking but blowing bubbles

Post by FAO51 »

Hi I'm back, my Series 11 splitscreen that is not driven much but well garaged has now acted up with the fuel pump won't stop clicking away but not sending any fuel. I read up a bit as I'm new to this and I put the banjo end on a clear jar where it blew bubbles, so the tank is full, no other filter, so probably diaphragm right? After dismantle I don't know what a good or bad diaphragm looks like as no tears or holes I can see but how small can they be? Also the old diaphragm has a clear plastic film over it that is delaminating if thats the problem?, I'll try attach photos.
Please give me your thoughts and experience how does the diaphragm look.
BTW just before this the float in carby sunk enough for fuel to leak out also running the pump excessively clicking as fuel was being lost out the float chamber so I replaced all that and now no fuel coming out but still clicking lol, can it be related? Really?
Old age can do that,
So also once remedied do I pour fuel into the pump and carby to prime it after sitting there dry for so long?
Thanks
Darren
Attachments
Original
Original
20230809_152412.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 304 times
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel pump clicking but blowing bubbles

Post by svenedin »

The diaphragm with the plastic sheet is an old type (30 years old or more). They are not made like that now. Blowing bubbles is usually an air leak on the inlet side so that the pump is drawing air rather than fuel. Check the fuel line connection from the tank to pump. If not used for a long time the fuel can turn to a sticky “varnish” that gums up the non-return valves (simple metal discs) in the base of the pump. Give everything a good clean in carburettor cleaner. Check fibre washers haven’t deteriorated.

Even if there is no hole in the diaphragm it can still leak air at the join between diaphragm and pump body when it starts to deteriorate. Your diaphragm has seen better days and should be replaced.

Another thing to check is that the fuel line from the tank is not blocked

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
FAO51
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fuel pump clicking but blowing bubbles

Post by FAO51 »

Thanks Stephen I'll do that, everything is pretty much a time capsule on this car.