Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

New number plate light (Lucas). Good Quality

Post by svenedin »

I bought a new number plate light and fitted it yesterday. My old one had only one bulb (the new one has 2) was very rusty and had a lot of solder inside of unknown provenance.

I find myself moaning a lot about parts that don't fit or are of poor quality. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of this light fitting. The nuts are 2BA just as they should be and it is solid and not ridiculously expensive. It is all marked "Lucas"

The electrical connections are hollow bullet connectors. These are the type that have a hollow bullet that the stripped cable strands are pushed through and then folded over. I think this is a bit rubbish so I used crimped bullets instead for a better connection. The hollow bullet is the original fitting though.

It's nice to buy and use a part that I am pleased with for once! If only all the parts we buy were like this I would be a very happy man.

Stephen

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... me-p829892
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: New number plate light (Lucas). Good Quality

Post by Bill_qaz »

Hollow bullets can also be soldered for a good connection.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: New number plate light (Lucas). Good Quality

Post by svenedin »

Bill_qaz wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:43 am Hollow bullets can also be soldered for a good connection.
Yes indeed and I think the mess of solder in the old fitting suggests this was done at some point in the past. I thought it was easier and quicker to use a crimped bullet than to get the soldering iron out (or find it for that matter).
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen