Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear door handle spring

Post by Bill_qaz »

The offside rear door handle on my 62 4 door does not spring against the body rubber when locked. In the diagram below item 38 is described as a barrel spring.
Could anyone please tell me.
1/ does this keep the handle against the body
2/ How is it accessed to replace it
3/ Are they readily available

Thanks for any help you can provide :tu1:
Screenshot_20230828-184250_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230828-184250_Chrome.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
Is this the part
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ar-p828288
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Rear door handle spring

Post by Bill_qaz »

Just found an old post from 2003, is this valid for mk5
Remove door handle escutcheon (chrome finisher)
Remove the 3 countersunk screws holding the handle (rear face of door)
Remove the 2 screws holding the latch mechanism (inside face of door, where the door trim covers)
Move the latch mechanism down/forwards (only has to move approx 2cm)
Remove the door handle assy. The handle must be in the fully closed position to enable the hook to clear the door.

Normally the spring doesn't break but simply comes out of its location. the 'leg' of the spring fits into a groove which then is peened over to hold the 'leg' in place.
In my experience it is a case of removing the handle, cleaning out this groove of 40 years of dust/grime, levering and pushing the 'leg' into the groove then re-peening the surrounding metal over the 'leg'.
99% of the time this is successful. In the worst case, a small plate might have to be made to hold the spring 'leg' in place in this groove, but I haven't had to resort to that yet.
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I don't think the rear handles ever changed during production. I did this repair on one of my handles some years ago and the instructions above seem to echo my experience very effectively. You're lucky that it is a rear handle because removal involves a lot less dismantling than a front one. Once you have the handle out it should be obvious what is required but yes - the "arm" of the little spring generally pops out of the groove and requires re-fitting. This is a slightly fiddly job and I drilled a small hole on my handle next to the groove for a self tapping screw which, with a small flat washer to cover the refitted arm, helped secure it forever! It is a job worth doing because a flapping handle is very annoying, All this applies only to the 4 door cars - along with vans and pick-ups. The 2 door models use an entirely different handle.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Handle now removed, the instruction were spot on. As predicted spring has popped out of groove.

Thanks for the self tapper idea, sounds more reliable than peening metal.
Just need to clean off 60 years of gunk to see the groove properly.
Having stripped and cleaned, I suspect part of the spring has snapped off, the arm is very short and difficult to put in groove, lack of leverage,
Ordered correct pin/spring from ESM
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

New spring pin fitted and screw and washer mod to retain the spring.
Reassembly time :tu1:
20230901_113453.jpg
20230901_113453.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1488 times
Old spring snapped off, so too short to refit
20230830_193059.jpg
20230830_193059.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1486 times
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Nicely done
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:54 am I don't think the rear handles ever changed during production. I did this repair on one of my handles some years ago and the instructions above seem to echo my experience very effectively. You're lucky that it is a rear handle because removal involves a lot less dismantling than a front one. Once you have the handle out it should be obvious what is required but yes - the "arm" of the little spring generally pops out of the groove and requires re-fitting. This is a slightly fiddly job and I drilled a small hole on my handle next to the groove for a self tapping screw which, with a small flat washer to cover the refitted arm, helped secure it forever! It is a job worth doing because a flapping handle is very annoying, All this applies only to the 4 door cars - along with vans and pick-ups. The 2 door models use an entirely different handle.
Thanks manyminors for the screw idea, all done and refitted :tu1:
Regards Bill
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Well done. It's a very satisfying little repair. That's exactly how I did mine. Floppy door handles do let the car down a bit don't they :oops: