Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Shane1964
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Help to get my car registered

Post by Shane1964 »

Hi all I'm new to the morris minor world, I am 17 years old and just passed my driving test and I have just bought myself a 1964 morris minor traveller that is in need of full restoration as I am at college training to be a mechanic. My traveller has been off the road for approximately 40 years so the dvla doesn't recognise it on there database, has anyone out there got any idea what I have to do to register my car as it didn't come with a logbook (lost years ago). Hope someone out there can help me.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Help to get my car registered

Post by svenedin »

The club can help you with this. I suggest you join!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Shane1964
Minor Friendly

Post by Shane1964 »

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply I have joined the club on Saturday just put a question out there to see what I had to do to register my car as I have been told it's not as easy as getting a V62 form from the post office. Many thanks
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Phone MMOC head office in Derby and they have someone who assists with DVLA matters.

This is the basic process: https://www.mylawyer.co.uk/registering- ... 65%20(PDF)

You can also request a Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Museum if you have the VIN (which is on a plate in the engine bay). This can be used as evidence of the car's age as it will say when the car was manufactured. https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ar ... rtificates

PS: I got my Morris when I was 17, my first car, and I still have it 34 years later. Good luck!!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Shane1964
Minor Friendly

Post by Shane1964 »

Hi Stephen, thanks for your help with this I will ring derby and see what they say,thanks . I think I'll need that look as there is alot of rust and rot on the car as you would expect from a car that has sat 40 years, I think I will have to teach myself to weld very quickly. Thanks for your help. Shane
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Welcome to the club and congratulations on passing your driving test! :tu1:

Have you been in touch with DVLA directly or just put the registration into their 'vehicle enquiry' website search? If it was last on the road in the early 80's then I would expect the car to be in their records somewhere, but there are a few reasons why it may not show up on a search.

If you want to try and keep the original registration mark then any documentation relating to the vehicle is helpful. Of course, the old buff / green logbook or V5 document are the must useful. Is there still an old tax disc in the windscreen?
In the past, I've found service receipts, MOT certs and other useful information, under seats and at the back of the glovebox. It's well worth keeping any documents relating to the history of the car. Once that history and information is lost it can be almost impossible to retrieve it.

Good luck with the restoration. There are plenty of people in the club who will help you out with advice and guidance. Make sure you get plenty of practice at welding before having a go on the car. Made that mistake myself years ago :wink:
Shane1964
Minor Friendly

Post by Shane1964 »

Hi thanks for all your help with this problem I have getting my traveller registered sadly I don't have any paperwork with th car al all, now I have the vin number from the car so may be abit nearer to getting it sorted also Simon is going to help with the dvla. Once again thanks to everyone who gave advice and help.once I have the registration sorted then the hard work starts getting her back into shape and back on the road. May need more advice on the restoration process (may need help that's a joke I WILL NEED ADVICE). Thanks all.
sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

congrat's on passing your test..and choosing a Minor to restore :)
i recently registered a couple of vintage motorcycles that had been off the road for decades. first i got the dating certificates from the respective owners clubs (AJS and BSA),then dvla sent a guy to check engine and frame/chassis numbers,and in a matter of a few weeks i got my new registration numbers..albeit age related XVS