Cutting out if choke on for a bit too long

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rosemore
MMOC Member: No

Cutting out if choke on for a bit too long

Post by Rosemore »

I was driving with the choke fully on for a bit in error and then the car broke down and I couldn't restart. After around an hour it did start if a bit spluttery. I usually just use the choke for a few seconds on half when starting cold.

Eventually after standing for a couple of hours more it was back to its old self. I was thinking this might mean I should change or clean the fuel pump or points. Would that make sense with the choke seemingly causing this? It has happened a few times if I overused the choke, I couldn't re-start from stalling, but this was pretty bad.
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Cutting out if choke on for a bit too long

Post by svenedin »

The choke has the effect of making the fuel mixture richer (more fuel) and is needed when starting. If you leave the choke on for too long the fuel mixture stays too rich and the spark plugs get coated in carbon (soot). The spark plugs do not work well when coated in soot and so the car does not run well.

Take out all of the spark plugs out and clean the electrode end with a spark plug brush (wire brush with fine brass bristles). Clean one at a time and replace in the engine to avoid the chance of mixing up the ignition leads. If you haven't got a spark plug brush you could use a green pot scourer.

If you cannot do this then take the car for a good run on a fast road. This will heat up the spark plugs and burn off the carbon. With the choke in this time of course!

Each car is different but on mine it needs full choke to start from completely cold. After about 20 seconds it starts to sound rough and I push the choke in half way. I then gradually push the choke fully in over the first 5 minutes or so of the journey. It does depend on how cold the weather is. In cold weather the engine takes longer to get hot and needs choke for longer.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above. Plus, the choke will not affect the fuel pump, so do not fiddle with the pump unless there is a definite fault. When did you last change the air filter? If that is blocked then it can cause poor running, so have a look and see if it is dirty. If yes, then a replacement is only a few pounds and worth fitting.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Also, probably wise to give it an oil and filter change as excess petrol swilling about in the bores will make its way into the sump, diluting and compromising the engine oil.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Myrtles Man wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:09 am Also, probably wise to give it an oil and filter change as excess petrol swilling about in the bores will make its way into the sump, diluting and compromising the engine oil.
Yes if this was a regular occurrence it can lead to serious engine wear for the reason you mention. Bore wash they call it. I would think that with a one off that a good long run will sort it out. Any petrol in the oil will evaporate and go through the breather and be burnt.

It has become a joke but I believe it really happened. Old ladies would think the choke knob was a handy hook to hang their handbags and drive with the choke out all the time with predictable coking up problems! A great aunt of mine did this I am told, as well as never driving in any gear except 3rd.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Too much choke will cause a flooded engine - too much petrol and not enough air. Quickest way to deal with this is to return the choke and then depress the accelerator to the floor and crank the engine over. This technique will suck in enough air to ignite the fuel and this should happen fairly quickly. Once the engine starts keep the revs fairly high for a bit until its all back to normal. This is quicker than waiting for the excess fuel to evaporate.
Rosemore
MMOC Member: No

Post by Rosemore »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I'll do the recommended maintenance.