Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gazsen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

-VE EARTH/FUEL PUMP

Post by gazsen »

Hi,
I have a `69 1098 Moggie which I am planning to change to -ve earth and change my solenoid to and alternator. Will I have to look at changing anything else, such as the fuel pump? I have a non original fuel pump.
Regards, Gary
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: -VE EARTH/FUEL PUMP

Post by svenedin »

What kind of “non original” fuel pump do you have?
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well since none of us know what fuel pump you have, how do you expect us to be able to tell you if it'll work or not?? :-?

As I have the time I just looked back at your past posts and saw the photo of your engine bay.....; all I can say is that the pump appears to be a small 'spin-like-blazes-pressure-there-whether-you-need-it-or-not' pump.
They're fine with modern fuel injection systems and bypass lines back to the tank, but not when you have a Carb and float chamber.
My advice Ditch It as they can cause grief by over pressure/filling of the float chamber.

In the meantime, it does look as though it may have a Black and Red Cable, for Neg and Pos.
In which case it may work if you just swap the 2 wires around, assuming the Red is Pos and currently is attached to the body....

Why are you changing the Solenoid? It's just a remotely operated switch.

Have you got a factory Pos Earth Alternator?
It's a bit unusual to have an aftermarket +Earth one, unless it was fitted a very long time ago.
It doesn't look like it from the photo, so do you mean you intend replacing the dynamo with an alternator? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I think it should read

" and change my solenoid too , and alternator "

John ;-)

P.S. H.T. coil connections.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Or "change my solenoid to an alternator" which is going to make trying to start the car very interesting :-?

Gaz, we want to help you, but you will have gathered that we do need clear, complete and accurate information. The advice above is good but can probably be supplemented and summarised as:

Fuel pump - change to an original SU type pump designed for the car. They are available with points which will work with +ve or -ve earth and also as electronic versions that have to be ordered with the correct earth.

Solenoid - will work with +ve or -ve earth, change it only if it is faulty.

Dynamo - will work with +ve or -ve earth, but has to be polarised (simple) to change it.

Distributor - if standard points, then will work with +ve or -ve earth. If converted to electronic, then requires correct unit for for earth being used.

Coil - ensure that the low tension wires are on the correct terminals depending on (a) earth being used and (b) markings on terminals.

I hoper that helps.
gazsen
Minor Friendly

Post by gazsen »

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the unclear info. New to all this but eager to learn. No idea why I put solenoid, meant to say dynamo! Changing dynamo to alternator at some point and +ve to -ve earth. Trying to gather useful info before I do. Thanks for the advice, I will purchase the recommended fuel pump in the mean time.
Gazsen