Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morris63
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Interior courtesy light

Post by morris63 »

Having just brought a Morris Minor Saloon 1971 the only thing bugging me is the interior light. It does not work, but occasionally when I hit a bump it flickers on. I am looking at replacing it, but they just don’t seem to be available. Is there a good alternative? I am not fussed about originality and am looking at period Mini ones. Do these work OK or is there another alternative? There seem to be a lot of Land Rover ones on Ebay saying they fit a Morris. Thanks.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Interior courtesy light

Post by oliver90owner »

Firstly, it depends on whether it actually needs changing.

Does it flicker on when actually in the off position?. Repair, IMO, is always better than replacement- if a common, simple, repairable fault.

If this is the only thing bugging you, well done on your purchase.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Flickering when going over bump suggests a poor connection in the wiring,or in the bulb itself is loose, but I would not expect it to flicker when in the off position. Take it out and check for loose/corroded connections and that the bulb fits snugly.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Is it an original light? How many positions on the switch? Perhaps off, auto and on? I suggest remove the fitting and check the wiring. There should be a supply, a permanent earth, and an earth via the switches in the door pillar. Clean the contacts in the switch and also the bulb, check operation of all parts and if necessary, bend the contacts slightly to grip the bulb firmly.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

As above I would take it off and clean up thr contacts. It's Lilley to be 50 years of accumulated dirt making thr connections poor.

I would recommended swapping thr bulb out for a Led version. These are much much brighter than the original and use less current and produce less heat.
morris63
Minor Friendly

Post by morris63 »

Thanks for all your advice. I have removed the light and fitted an LED. The wiring seems OK so maybe just needs a bit of a clean. However the cover is broken and I would like to replace it. So this brings us back to does a Classic Mini one fit.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

There were several different 'Classic Mini' interior lamps over the years of it's production.
You'll have to compare yours to the ones currently sold.
Basil the 1955 series II

morris63
Minor Friendly

Post by morris63 »

Fixed. Thanks for all your help. It was the door switch, just neeeded a bit of WD40.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

Good old WD40!
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

morris63 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:52 pm Fixed. Thanks for all your help. It was the door switch, just neeeded a bit of WD40.
Now, how does a dodgy door switch affect a broken lamp? The door switch should be positively pushed to the ‘off’ position with the door closed - either off or bent! I think your problem was actually within the lamp, not the door switch - unless you drive with the door ajar!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I can understand a loose connection making the light come on, but not as reported when the doors are closed....
It does not work, but occasionally when I hit a bump it flickers on.
...certainly not fixable with a spray of water dispersant. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II