Front chassis legs

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Neville K
MMOC Member: Yes

Front chassis legs

Post by Neville K »

Hi
Has any one got any pictures of how they welded the front chassis legs back on,
Neville
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Front chassis legs

Post by ManyMinors »

Originally they would have been spot welded. Replacement chassis legs would generally be plug welded: Drilling out the original spot welds and then drilling holes in the replacement parts prior to filling the holes with weld in order to secure them. You can re-use the original tie panels above the chassis leg if they are in good condition, or replace them at the same time. It all depends on how much rust you're having to deal with.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Sorry, no pictures, but do one at a time and use the other to ensure that the new one is parallel. Measure all available datum points to ensure that the new leg is clamped in the correct position before you start to weld.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

When welding the chassis legs to the other remaining panel(s) I would advise drilling out the original spot welds with a spot weld cutter and then using those holes to plug weld the two panels together. I would recommend that you do not drill holes in the new panels/parts. Having the spot weld holes in the retained panels means that for the majority of welds you will be welding down hill which is much easier.
This is the type of spot weld cutter I use and recommend.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht467- ... eld-drill/
Cut right through the panel to be retained and the panel to be replaced then offer up the new panel and you will have a hole and a bottom which allows the two to be plug welded together.