Cameras

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Cameras

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I was stopped by a red traffic light the other day at some temporary road works. There were quite a few cars in front of me, a lorry and a few cars behind me.
The light turned to green and off we all went. As I went past the light, I noticed that it was just turning back to red. It was definitely red when the lorry behind me went through it...and the car behind the lorry...and the car behind the car behind the lorry.

It seems that nowadays, unless they know that they are being filmed, some drivers will do exactly what they like. :roll:

(I am sure somebody will say that I should have stopped on amber; but I was already committed, on the wrong side of the road, and it would have been dangerous to stop. Obviously I am a perfect driver.)

I have got an auxiliary socket in my car. Is there a very simple plug -and -go forward looking camera that I could use to record what is going on in front of me? I bought a second -hand one a while ago, but it was too complicated for me to use.

Thanks
John
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Cameras

Post by KeithL »

John,

Almost all dashcams have the option to plug into an auxiliary socket rather than be hard wired. It also allows you to switch the camera between cars if you buy a second camera mount. Once configured the way you want (video quality etc) they are plug-and-go.

Which make/model do you already have?

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I think that when it comes to temporary lights at roadworks there's a few factors.
One is that there is a bit of an urban myth, passed down the generations, that 'roadworks lights' aren't the same as fixed 'proper lights'.
I do believe that back when such temporary lights came into use, to replace a man with a STOP/GO board, it may have been the case that lights and legislation hadn't caught up.
Earliest UK 'roadworks lights' were not even the standard triple stack, they were just individual Red and Green separate lights circa early 1950s (I saw it in an old B&W TV show in my childhood). Back in the day when roadworks were barricaded with Red/White Wooden Poles and Red painted paraffin lamps.

Timings are often screwed up, with long periods of nothing happening in either direction.

Lights can be left out for day unattended and malfunction. They can also be badly set up, for example, if fitted with a vehicle detector to initiate the change. So workers will set it up that the vehicle has to actually be at the Red Stop Here Sign before it activates, so the driver that stops a vehicle length short of that won't trigger the sign. :roll:

So generally temporary lights have a bad reputation...
But yes, it is against the law to go through a Red Light, even at roadworks where you can see what's happening....
Basil the 1955 series II

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

KeithL wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:29 am John,

Almost all dashcams have the option to plug into an auxiliary socket rather than be hard wired. It also allows you to switch the camera between cars if you buy a second camera mount. Once configured the way you want (video quality etc) they are plug-and-go.

Which make/model do you already have?
I think it was a Nextbase one. I took it to the charity shop.

I think it had a card in it, and to record an incident you had to press the right tiny button at the right time. I could not be bothered.

It is a shame now that police will pretty much only accept footage of wrong doing, rather than be there to spot it themselves.

Interesting info on temporary lights geoberni. :tu1:
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

Get a dashcam to record yourself and for any potential insurance claims you may be involved with. Don't get one to grass on other people.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

rocco wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:38 pm Get a dashcam to record yourself and for any potential insurance claims you may be involved with. Don't get one to grass on other people.
That was my intention. :tu1:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:02 am
It is a shame now that police will pretty much only accept footage of wrong doing, rather than be there to spot it themselves.
It's a shame there are so many idiots on the road risking their lives and others, that you could have a 10 fold increase in police and still barely have any affect.
Youtube is full of dashcam footage, if someone posts it to the cops instead and take an idiot off the road, they're not doing the cops job for them, it's no different to reporting any other crime you see happening.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have forward and rear dash cams on my modern car. I had this fitted by Audi because I had nearly been wiped out on too many occasions. At the time I was commuting to Portsmouth from South London so driving many miles a week. I am considering hard wiring a forward camera on my Morris for the same reason. I cannot fit a rear camera on the Morris as it is a soft top.

My Audi camera detects an "event" and automatically saves that event to the built in memory card. It records constantly when the ignition is on but writes over routine footage when it runs out of space. An "event" is when it detects deceleration or jolts beyond a certain level (which can be adjusted for sensitivity). When the car is parked it detects movement and will only record if it has detected movement (this can be disabled).

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

I've got this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403996904848 ... media=COPY

Cheap and simple, plugs into accessory socket and as mine is live only when key on it starts and stops automatically Sucker mount on screen and camera slides out if needed.
You can put memory card into tablet or pc to view images on larger screen if you want.

Screen capture of idiot coming head on on wrong side of double lines :oops:
Unfortunately light glare doesn't let numberplate be read.
Downside of cheap camera.
Screenshot_20230308-174924_VLC.jpg
Screenshot_20230308-174924_VLC.jpg (173.72 KiB) Viewed 65334 times
Regards Bill
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks folks.

I think dangerous driving has got more prevalent since covid and the lockdowns for some reason.

I have mentioned it before on here that I can remember the public information film on the TV in the 70s that showed a machine being taken round shopping centres. The presenter (unfortunately Jimmy Saville, I think) asked random people if they wore their seat belt when driving. Anyone who did not was strapped into the machine; which was a car seat at the top of a short metal framed slope, and was sent down the slope to the buffer at the end to simulate a head on accident at a speed of (Ithink) 9 mph. People came off the machine shaking, and vowing to always wear their seatbelt from then on.

I can't help thinking that everyone who passes the driving test should be strapped to that machine, and given a 9 mph head on crash. They would then know how scary a car crash can be, and would hopefully drive carefully from then on.
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I don't often use a camera on my motorbike but for the few days that I did, I was surprised just how dangerous idiots there are out there. This image was me doing around 60mph on an A-road on my way to work and some plum deciding to overtake in front of me. At times I do want to share such footage with the old bill but I just can't bring myself to be a grass.
Voyager_Nearmiss2.jpg
Voyager_Nearmiss2.jpg (147.5 KiB) Viewed 65268 times
1961 Morris Minor 1000
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

There are some sayings that I frequently use when I am driving...
'Only a fool brakes the two second rule'.
'The best place for the idiot behind you, is in front of you'.

Anybody got any more?.....
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:21 am 'The best place for the idiot behind you, is in front of you'.
I agree entirely. We usually pull over and let them go past. That way we can be a witness at their court case (or their inquest).

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:21 am There are some sayings that I frequently use when I am driving...
'Only a fool brakes the two second rule'.
'The best place for the idiot behind you, is in front of you'.

Anybody got any more?.....
Better to arrive late than dead on time.
Rather be in the queue than in the accident that's causing it.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

The only thing I'm not quite sure about is how to route the camera power cable so that that it does not show. There are no handy plastic covers over the A-pillar or over the top of the screen to hide the cable like in a modern car.
IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_8590.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 65228 times

Stephen
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Maybe drill a small hole below the rear view mirror mounting?

I don't envy you the task.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

How about on dash just to left of speedo and run wire into glove box. Sucker sticks well to metal.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Bill_qaz wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:45 pm How about on dash just to left of speedo and run wire into glove box. Sucker sticks well to metal.
That sounds potentially very good. I could then remove the camera and put it in the glove box when at shows or whatever. Also no drilling or permanent modifications. I don’t have the camera yet but I will go and have a look at them next time I’m in Halfords. I will do a test with my phone camera to see what the field of view is like from that position. I would quite like to sort out a camera before the Minors on Tour in the Netherlands next May.

Stephen

Stephen
Guildbass
Minor Friendly

Post by Guildbass »

geoberni wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:44 am I
One is that there is a bit of an urban myth, passed down the generations, that 'roadworks lights' aren't the same as fixed 'proper lights'.
I do believe that back when such temporary lights came into use, to replace a man with a STOP/GO board, it may have been the case that lights and legislation hadn't caught up.

So generally temporary lights have a bad reputation...
But yes, it is against the law to go through a Red Light, even at roadworks where you can see what's happening....
I was taught the obeying of temporary traffic lights is not a legal requirement under the road traffic act of 1988 l unless they have been ratified by the local authority.
Usually you'll see a notice in the local paper or website advising the use of a set of a certain type over a certain period and at a certain location.
It is permitted for authorised road construction agencies to set the lights up and apply for authority retroactively and in practise, many Temporary road works did this.
These lights were advisory only until such time as the notice was published.
I don't know whether that regulation has been changed or amended.....In practise driving through on 'red' can be construed as dangerous driving so irrespective of the legality of the installation, depending on yhe circumstance, you can still be committing an offence.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I have front and rear facing cameras on my bicycle (Following an incident where I had to defend myself against physical assault...successfully I might add) and I fancy that other road users are more aware of such things nowadays, as you don't see quite as many passing within inches, as you once did (I have had paint on my pedal before now). Of course, I pick my times and pick my routes and am sure that people who drive or cycle, in cities, will tell me it's as bad as ever. I've not had cause to send in much footage but have noticed that different Police forces act in different ways (It seems Dyfed Powys are more likely to take action than South Wales Police).

I have considered getting a dash cam for the cars but my cycle front camera has a very good run time (It doubles up as a 400 lumen - not very big lumens I fancy - light but I never use that bit of it), so I may look to make a mount to fit it in the car. The same could be said or the rear one but I think frontal accidents are more contentious than when someone comes into the back of you (Unless they are able to drive off after coming into you). Perhaps I could fix both up but I think the front one more important.

As to the issue of enforcement of rules, first it is said that rules are there for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men and I think it less hazardous to run an amber light, when committed, than stop suddenly, especially if there is someone close behind you. Without scrutiny and risk of sanction, there are those who do just as they like, like those who still drive with a phone in one hand and the other on the wheel.....with their eyes on the phone if they are texting :x . It's rather like Drakeford's flowchart 20mph speed limit; there was nothing wrong with the old 30mph limits, other than they weren't enforced. Now, most people are simply 10 mph more over the speed limit than they were and those, who stick to 20, are now more likely to be overtaken, than when they stuck to 30 and those overtaking, are going faster than they were when tailgating someone doing 30 :roll: :roll: . There are some crazy anomalies too, such as a wide and straight road, with a 20mph limit and a narrow, hedge lined one, leading off it (Favoured by dog walkers and horse riders), where the limit is 60mph.