Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

ESM disc brake kit

Post by BaritoneUke »

Starting to prepare to put an ESM steel hub ford disc brake kit on a 1957 2 door (note to self: get a tub of lithium grease pronto). Some good instructions came with it (when I did the marina version quite a few years ago they weren't so detailed, and I remember having to source the calipers). Anybody had problems doing this conversion?

Also planning to put polybushes on while the front is up in the air.
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: ESM disc brake kit

Post by King Kenny »

Hi BaritoneUke, I fitted Ford based disks from Owen Burton around thirty years ago. The best thing I have ever done. I am still on the original brake pads and have never had a problem. As far as I can recall, it was a straight forward, nuts and blost swap. My Instructions called for the removal of a small seal in the master cylinder. I expect yours do too. At that time I also replaced the rear cylinders and flexible hoses. As a Copper/nickel brake pipe set was fitted I used silicone brake fluid. No more seized cylinders!
MC Mod.jpg
MC Mod.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 7105 times
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

When I fitted the Grumpy's Marina disc brakes to my Minor the instructions were hand written but very comprehensive . The kit was purchased and collected direct from Grumpy's when he was just outside Oxford.
I still have the instructions on file.
When you fit the poly bushes especially the eye bolt ones it pays to fit a grease nipple.
eye bolt 22.JPG
eye bolt 22.JPG (640.99 KiB) Viewed 6846 times
Grease nipples can also be fitted to the underside of the top trunnion so as to grease the top trunnion poly bushes.
When fitting new bushes to the tie rod - fit a rubber bush to the rear of the bracket for articulation and a poly bush to the front of the bracket for braking resistance.

BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

Thank you for feedback. Like the grease-nipple idea. :-)
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

King Kenny wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:13 am As a Copper/nickel brake pipe set was fitted I used silicone brake fluid. No more seized cylinders! MC Mod.jpg
Good idea...think I'll go silicone fluid too, got to make the most of not having ABS :D
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Re using silicone fluid-is it a straightforward replacement for normal, or do you need to flush repeatedly to remove all trace of the old?
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

It would not make any sense to mix it with std fluid. It will mix but will defeat the object. Best to use when you do a complete brake overhaul. At least then you can be assured everything is up to standard.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Thanks.
So if replacing std fluid with silicone, I need flush the system thoroughly?
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

"if replacing std fluid with silicone, I need flush the system thoroughly?"
Very thoroughly. Any old fluid will negate the benefits of using silicone. As you are changing the front brakes I would strip the original rear brake cylinders and replace all the flexables if they are old. The original pipes would flush through OK, but you would benefit from copper/nickel pipes. Fitting these is easy, once you get the old pipes off. It is a big job but well worth it. Don't skimp with your brakes!