HT leads

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

HT leads

Post by Mr Spigot »

Does anyone know what type the original HT leads were on a 1952 side valve engine? The current ones are plastic coated copper cored and need replacing, but not sure to replace with the same or braided, and if the latter which colour. I have looked in Ray Newell's 'Original Morris Minor' and they all look to be black but difficult to know what type. Or is it just down to personal choice?
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: HT leads

Post by geoberni »

That's a good question, and I suppose it depends if anyone has recollections of an original MM as built. :-?

I would say it depends whether you're trying to restore 'factory finish' or just be accurate to the period.
Up until the 1940s, I think all leads were natural rubber insulated and then covered in braided fabric, often different colours; but during WWII, I think the industry saw a change to just plain black neoprene rubber as a more reliable insulating material.
Neoprene had only been developed in the early 1930s so it would have seen a massive increase in use during WWII over 'traditional' insulation, which would carry over post war.

Personally, I associate coloured braided HT cable with pre-war cars.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have to admit that I have the cable to make a set of rather jazzy black and red braided copper core ignition leads for my 1969 car. I know this is not original but I fancied a change from black rubber and it’s a service part so it can and will get changed eventually.

On your earlier car you could go for black braided?

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

If you look on eBay you will find a supplier who sells braided leads in a variety of colours e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225436198597 ... R8ieq_eLYw While they look nice, I can't imagine these being standard fitment in the very conservative late forties and fifties. I'd have thought black or similar dark colour may seem been standard. That said, as Svenedin as pointed out, it's a replaceable part. Fit whatever colour you like, you can always change them if you don't like it.
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll stick with the black rubber coated as they seem to be closer to the originals.
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305