Official Workshop Manuals

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RogCal
MMOC Member: No

Official Workshop Manuals

Post by RogCal »

First post as a new member of the forum and thanks for allowing me to join.

I have just been gifted a Minor by my son and to say the least it will require some work to get it road worthy/legal but that is as far as it will go, as I intend to leave it as an "oily rag" renovation as far as the bodywork is concerned.

My immediate need is for an original workshop manual as published by BMC of which there are many currently available on Ebay in various conditions which doesn't bother me in the slightest but my dilemma is which is the correct one for my Minor, as there are many on sale for Minors of different years of production. I have always preferred using official workshop manuals even for the more common vehicle types, Haynes has its uses but you can't beat the real thing.

Could someone with knowledge of what would be the correct manual for my vehicle?

It was registered as a Minor in November 1961 (I have the chassis and engine numbers if that would help).

Looking at the manuals available on Ebay they show a number on the top right of the cover page, ranging from AKD 530 (A to E) but which is the right one for my Minor.

Any help would be gratefully received, thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Official Workshop Manuals

Post by philthehill »

This is the manual you want:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254697742818 ... R663lcG3Yw
It is the latest 14th edition and has all the updates you require.
You may be able to find it cheaper if you look around.
Whilst it may be loose leaf it is only two ring. Converting to four ring is better.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The Workshop Manual is still available in print as an actual book. Typically around £35, it also comes up second hand on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386757544889

At least there's less chance of any leaves being missing than when you buy a old ring binder version that's been in use for decades.

I suspect that the one on Phil's link may simply be a print of a PDF given that the page numbers are in the centre rather than the edge of the page, and the layout, where the page has a white print border around it.... :-?

The PDF can be found for free online by searching 'AKD530 pdf'.
Personally I have a copy of the bound book for in the house reading and if I need to take a copy outside for a complex/dirty job, I print the bit I need from the PDF. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

RogCal

Post by RogCal »

Thank you guys.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

For years I used the Haynes manual but the photographs are next to useless especially in reprints of the book. The official workshop manual has very clear line drawings and is excellent but the downside is it is aimed at a mechanic audience and assumes quite a lot of knowledge. In other words, the official manual will not guide every step of the way. Having both the Haynes and the BMC manuals is probably the best way. Geoberni's suggestion of printing out the relevant pages of the pdf workshop manual so that you don't ruin the book with oil is a very good idea. This is also what I do.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I also find the parts manual very useful particularly the drawings
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182110840564 ... 923e404ab8
Where angels fear to tread
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If you can find one at a reasonable price, the original factory parts book is vastly better and more comprehensive than the Charles Ware offering - which can often be found secondhand for next to nothing :wink:
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

The ESM catalogue moggiethouable linked to on eBay also has a free online version:
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/catalogue-i30
RogCal

Post by RogCal »

Thank you for all your responses, I'm all sorted now.