Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
radioactiveman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel pump identification

Post by radioactiveman »

Hello!

I was updating my parcel shelf, and I noticed one of parcel shelf holes had a big old screw in it, coming from the engine bay.

Upon further inspection it looks like my pump is held on with some sort of strap rather than being attached to the battery tray like I’ve seen others.

Does this appear to be the wrong pump? Or just a curious way of affixing it :-?
IMG_1810.jpeg
IMG_1810.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 480 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Fuel pump identification

Post by svenedin »

It is the wrong pump as you suggest. Looks like a pump made by the company Hardi rather than the correct SU pump.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

svenedin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:28 am It is the wrong pump as you suggest. Looks like a pump made by the company Hardi rather than the correct SU pump.

Stephen
Thank you. That's interesting! I presume these pumps are designed for the Minor so it's fine. It seems to do it's job as far as I can tell!

I'm a little unsure why anyone would choose to use a strap to secure the pump rather than using the holes on the battery tray, but I also notice it has three 'legs' that would attach to the battery tray whereas there are only two holes on the tray so I wonder if it's designed to be 'universal' and someone has just decided to go for the strap :-?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

The Hardi pumps are quite good I believe. They’re cheaper than SU pumps but the downside is they are not user serviceable. If it packs up I’d suggest getting an SU pump

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

radioactiveman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:35 am
svenedin wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:28 am It is the wrong pump as you suggest. Looks like a pump made by the company Hardi rather than the correct SU pump.

Stephen
Thank you. That's interesting! I presume these pumps are designed for the Minor so it's fine. It seems to do it's job as far as I can tell!

I'm a little unsure why anyone would choose to use a strap to secure the pump rather than using the holes on the battery tray, but I also notice it has three 'legs' that would attach to the battery tray whereas there are only two holes on the tray so I wonder if it's designed to be 'universal' and someone has just decided to go for the strap :-?
Perhaps the thread in the pump are damaged so the mounting strap was a fix. As they say "if it works don't fix it" unless you are a purist and have to have it correct.
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Yes it's a Hardi Pump.
As Stephen said, when it's busted it can't be User Serviced.
SU Pumps used brackets like that in some other cars, including Mini and MGs.
Basil the 1955 series II

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

They are not user serviceable. I had a Hardi pump which packed up after 11 years. I sent them an email and enquired about a repair. They emailed back saying no problem. I think I paid about 25€ in total and they posted it back to me within a few days. I could not tell if it was my pump repaired or a brand new one-great service!
Brexit might be a problem on sending from UK for repair. I would enquire first .
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

Bill_qaz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:01 pm
radioactiveman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:35 am

Stephen

Perhaps the thread in the pump are damaged so the mounting strap was a fix. As they say "if it works don't fix it" unless you are a purist and have to have it correct.
I'd like to be a purist, but my car has long since gone in a different direction :lol:

As ever, thanks for the insights everyone! :tu1:
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

:tu1:
Regards Bill