Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Maria1959morris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Lighting

Post by Maria1959morris »

Looking.for suggestions on best way to go I have 1959 4 door what has later type lights I'm going to do and order from esm I want to put the original back lights on plus smaller indicator on each side as for front I want to take away later type.and replace with smaller white one plus also add small.indicator.at each side also want to have the trafficators wired up again has anyone on here converted there car back.to original lighys plus added front and rear indicators any pics of why they done for ideas thanks
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Lighting

Post by Bill_qaz »

I changed the small white indicators on mine for amber lens and put the side light in the head light. It is personal preference but I don't think some drivers realised flashing white was an indicator.
20230520_145339.jpg
20230520_145339.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 740 times
Regards Bill
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

On my 63 4 door I have small flashing white lights with side. I have replaced the bulbs for led ones. This has enabled me to keep white side lights, but have orange flashers in the same location . When the side lights are on and you turn the flashers on the white side light goes off and you get an orange flasher. You see this feature on modern cars
Mr Spigot
Minor Fan

Post by Mr Spigot »

I have converted my 1960 car back to an original looking setup using a similar arrangement to mowogg above, putting a dual white/orange LED bulb in the front sidelights. You will need the larger Lucas 488 bulb holder and rubber boot but can fit the 489 lens and retaining ring so it looks original. Alternatively you can fit a headlamp with sidelight built in and just put an orange bulb linked to the flasher in the sidelight. You can get an orange indicator bulb conversion to go in the rear light from Better Car Lighting : https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/ind ... ductId=494 Be aware that the later front indicator/sidelight fitting has a larger hole in the front wing so you would either need to fit an earlier wing with the small circular hole, or fill up the later, larger hole where there are gaps.
1960 2 door with 1275 Midget engine - WOI 577
1952 MM convertible with original engine - MWD 305
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

mowogg wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:48 am On my 63 4 door I have small flashing white lights with side. I have replaced the bulbs for led ones. This has enabled me to keep white side lights, but have orange flashers in the same location . When the side lights are on and you turn the flashers on the white side light goes off and you get an orange flasher. You see this feature on modern cars
I did consider the dual action bulb but as mine came with separate orange indicators already on the rear, I went for orange fronts keeping original bulbs and no need to change flasher unit. I just moved side light wire to headlights.
IMG-20220623-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220623-WA0000.jpg (61.83 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Regards Bill