Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Spotlights

Post by myoldjalopy »

I can't see how brighter lights would help with most of those things. I have driven several miles down country lanes at night with no lights at all more than once - the full moon was enough to see by! Eat lots of carrots! :wink:
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:35 pm I can't see how brighter lights would help with most of those things. I have driven several miles down country lanes at night with no lights at all more than once - the full moon was enough to see by! Eat lots of carrots! :wink:
I hope you're just joking?
Lights are for people to see you approaching not just for you to see where you are going.
As a motorcyclist, encountering an unlit vehicle is very scary :o (as I know from experience)and not much better in a car.
Regards Bill
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

A little tongue in cheek, perhaps. Believe me, Bill, I am not advocating such an approach to night driving, of course not. But once was out of necessity as the battery was no longer being charged. And it was in deep rural, no towns, no villages, just the occasional farm house and I knew the lanes like the back of my hand. The moonlight was very bright indeed. I switched the lights back on before I reached the main road. And in the case of the discharging battery, I conked out when I had to stop at some traffic lights close to home and had to call the RAC, which I was hoping to avoid :-(
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

That happened to me many moons ago. The battery was not charging and I had to start the car on the starting handle. I was in a built up area with streetlights so I turned off the headlights and ran on sidelights only. Then there was insufficient power to operate the flashing indicators so I had to do hand signals (and my passenger did the turning left signal). I got home, just.

The fault was not the battery or the dynamo but the RB106 control box.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen