Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dougie212
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Metal trim help

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi there

I was hoping to save some pennies and polish up the surrounds on Myrtles front grill. I don't really know much about metal polishing. Could someone tell me if this is likely to be polished aluminium (or similar) or chrome plated. I'm guessing if it's chrome plated the only way to get it back to smooth and shiny is to have it replated but if it is polished, what would be the best way of bringing it back to a good flat shine please?
I've given it a quick rub with autosol and fine grade wire wool which has actually brightened it up a bit. Thankyou!!!
IMG_3905.jpeg
IMG_3905.jpeg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 593 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Metal trim help

Post by geoberni »

Well that photo is so close it's impossible to see what you're talking about.
But I'm assuming you're referring to all the chrome trim on the front of the car.
As car as I'm aware, irrespective of year, all the shiny bits were always chrome plated.
Basil the 1955 series II

Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

I took it close to negate the question of ‘take a close up for us so we can see what the issue is’. Its more the state of the metal I was hoping to get some advice on rather than what the actual part is. Thanks though, I thought it would be chrome plated. Best start looking for a plating company..

Thanks
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, I don't know what kind of finish you are wanting (and how pristine or otherwise the rest of the car is) but what you have polished up so far - it looks like part of the grille surround - looks pretty good from the photo!
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

That looks like a 1000 grille surround. For a short period this part was chrome plated but--like nearly all of them--on yours is aluminium. It looks like it has substantial erosion of the surface (either mechanical erosion or corrosion). This is obvious when the section that is normally behind the joiner is compared with the adjacent exposed part.
I am not expert on refinishing aluminium but I think you would need to use fine sandpaper to reduce the roughness of the surface. This could be followed by aluminium cream or paste polish. Aluminium exposed to the weather is normally anodised which gives it nice appearance and durability. If the trim was originally anodised, that has surface treatment has been lost. So you might not be able to get it looking like new (unless you take it to a business that can buff it and anodise it for you).
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Thank you all for your responses..

Thanks Don… I’ll give it a go with some fine sandpaper and have a go at polishing it back up.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, clean it all up and give it a few coats of wax. Or I suppose you could try and paint a clear varnish over it.......
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

don58van wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:21 pm That looks like a 1000 grille surround. For a short period this part was chrome plated but--like nearly all of them--on yours is aluminium.
I didn't know the 1000 were aluminium. :tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Nor did I - are they?
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

I’ve added a few more pictures if it helps confirm the material. I’ve given it a good clean this morning and had a quick go with some 600 grit wet and dry. Appreciate everyone’s help..
Attachments
IMG_3913.jpeg
IMG_3913.jpeg (4.93 MiB) Viewed 481 times
IMG_3916.jpeg
IMG_3916.jpeg (4.48 MiB) Viewed 481 times
IMG_3915.jpeg
IMG_3915.jpeg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 481 times
IMG_3917.jpeg
IMG_3917.jpeg (4.23 MiB) Viewed 481 times
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

One way to improve its looks at no cost , fold up some tinfoil and give it a vigorous rub you might be surprised .
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

I’ll definitely give it a go on another part Jimmy.

I got over excited with this one and couldn’t help myself. Various grades of sandpaper, wet and dry and polish and I’ve got a very nice mirror finish - but…… it’s got a yellow hint to it!! It does seem to be slightly less yellow once it’s polished but I can still see a difference. Granted, if I do the whole thing it’ll all match, but it’s not going to go with all the other parts.

Any one got any ideas???

I’ve hopefully posted pictures.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3929.jpeg
IMG_3929.jpeg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 423 times
IMG_3928.jpeg
IMG_3928.jpeg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 423 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Maybe its chrome-plated brass and you've got down to the brass?
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Certainly seems like it’s brass… that was the last thing I expected this to be made of… oh well…looks like I’m visiting a few re chromers and weighing up the options of re coat or buy new….
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Well, it looks like I misled you. :oops: :oops: Sorry. It looked like aluminium to me. I have both ally and chrome on brass grille surrounds so I know what they look like. We don't have salted road here in Oz though which no doubt promotes a type of corrosion of the chrome that we don't see here.
Some people are prepared to pay a lot for the chrome on brass type--if well chromed they look great. Your work might not be wasted if you decide to get it chromed because it would have to be sanded down before buffing and chroming. If you decide to buy new, I am sure someone will be prepared to pay good money to get the brass type for re-chroming.
Can someone recommend a good chrome plater to the OP?
Don
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Gosh no apologies needed!!!! It’s all good learning. I’ve sent some pictures for some quotes for playing around the midlands and contacted DMG for a quote on new. Some comments I’ve had on another forum are suggesting the price of plating has recently sky rocketed due to the price of materials and chemicals so I’ll see what’s more cost effective.
Thanks as always everyone for your help..
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The price of most things seem to have skyrocketed! :-(
One option might be to post in the 'wants' section here - you never know if a good second-hand one is available. I have both bought and sold good quality second-hand chrome stuff on here before....