Gearbox repair /replacement

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lizzy12
MMOC Member: Yes

Gearbox repair /replacement

Post by Lizzy12 »

Afternoon everyone can anyone offer any help regarding gearbox repair or replacement please. The car is a Morris 1000 with a 1098 engine and standard 4 speed gearbox . Can anyone offer advice on helping me find someone in the Wiltshire /Somerset area of the UK that can remove the gearbox and replace the offending item that is causing it to occasionally jump out of second gear. All other gears are fine and car drives ok .
The paperwork for the car shows the po had a recon gear box professionally fitted around 4 years ago. So wondering if the recon they used was perhaps not that good .
Need some help from either a well versed home mechanic who is willing to help (will bring car to them and pay) or suggestions off good mechanic who will not rip me off or have the car for months as it is my daily driver .
Also what are people's experiences on repairing the offending gear box compared to putting a reconditioned gearbox in as in how do costs add up and which is best for longevity.

Thankyou for any help
Chief
Minor Addict

Re: Gearbox repair /replacement

Post by Chief »

I don't currently have Minor Matters at hand, but there's a person in there (think his name is John) who has an advert and does gearbox restorations and is recommended as doing good work (my current gearbox is one of his which was done as part of my cars restoration).

Edit:
But I'd be wrong as I was actually thinking of Tom Roy:
https://www.tomroy.co.uk/content/home-page

I realise they're not close to you, but they do gearbox repairs (or used to) so it would be a case of shipping and then the cost of fitting once it was returned to you which any garage should be able to do.
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

Hi Lizzy. I had a gearbox that needed replacing about 20 years ago. I had a renewed exchange box from a company near Heathrow. It locked solid after a few weeks and I had to send it back for a replacement. The second box has been trouble free ever since. I think a box that despite this a replacement would be a better long term investment. There is a lot of cogs and levers that would need to be examined before you could rebuild it and the cost of the individual parts may be more than a replacement. Hope this helps. I have also sent you a PM.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It should be noted that Heathrow Transmissions are now at Chichester.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

As the car is your daily car it would seem a better idea to swap the gearbox for a reconditioned unit. If trying to repair the old gearbox then somebody would have to take the gearbox out of the car, take it apart to diagnose the problem, possibly order parts and so on. That could take a while……

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen