O series

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tineca
MMOC Member: No

O series

Post by Tineca »

Hi. With the growing scarcity of 1275s I wondered if anyone had ever considered the 1.7 o series as swap. I seem to remember they were quite light. Anyone done it?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: O series

Post by philthehill »

Whilst I have not fitted a 'O' Series to a Minor I did have a Morris Ital estate fitted with a 1.7 'O' Series engine and I was not impressed with the engine or performance.
Nowhere as good as my previous Morris Marina estate fitted with the 1.8 'B' Series engine.

Tineca

Post by Tineca »

I seem to remember they were a bit prone to head gasket issues.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As to the scarcity of 1275cc in line 'A' Series engines - they are out there but the price has risen considerably.
They now command a price of around £700 for a engine that is in need of overhaul.
The overcome the lack of 1275cc in line engines the 1275cc transverse engine can be modified to fit as an in line unit but of course that will require additional funding and special parts.
I would suggest that using a modified 1275cc transverse engine would be cheaper than fitting a 1.7 'O' series in line engine and gearbox.
Here is a 1275cc Marina engine for sale on 'e' bay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204188135902 ... R7qy_JXHYw
I suspect that the engine listed above has in the past been fitted to a Morris Minor as it has the Minor front engine plate fitted.

Tineca

Post by Tineca »

Ahh I’d disregarded the transverse 1275 as so many threads saying it’s a hard job. Something around the mounts and crankshaft? I had a split screen with a marina engine once and it was great but it was when they were very reasonable.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Depends on how much you want or need a 1275cc engine.
Have a look at the video below - it outlines the work required to convert the transverse 1275cc engine to an 1275cc inline unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxy1pUq83Y

Tineca

Post by Tineca »

That was really interesting. I’m surprised there isn’t a stock available to buy. Thanks for sharing that.