Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Lucas 9H Horn Repair

Post by svenedin »

My Lucas 9H horn is not working properly and I have had to temporarily fit a modern replacement. It does not sound the same so I do not like the modern one.

I have watched a few videos on Youtube showing repairs on the 9H. It is very simple inside, a set of points, a coil and a diaphragm. It's basically like a speaker except for the points. Providing the coil is intact, it seems the most common fault is dirty points. Unfortunately, the unit was not meant for disassembly and the rivets have to be drilled out to get inside. It can of course be riveted back together with pop rivets.

I just wondered if anybody on here had repaired a 9H and how they got on with it? Was it a long term fix or did the horn fail again after a short time.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Lucas 9H Horn Repair

Post by Bill_qaz »

Did you buy the high or low tone 9h replica
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I bought the horn that ESM offer which is Low tone. It doesn't claim to be a replica but it is very similar to a Lucas 9H.

The new horn is much louder than the old one, which is a good thing really (probably the old one was failing and I got used to it not being very loud) but it isn't the same note. I should have recorded the frequency of the old horn's note before it packed up.

Unfortunately, my old horn got thrown out. Not by me I might add!

I tracked down 2 more Lucas 9H low which work but not very well and the note is incorrect so I am considering taking one apart to refurbish it. The frequency should be 390-400 Hz (or cycles per second as the old manual states).

This is the workshop manual for adjustments. There is no manual that I can find for taking the unit to pieces but there are YouTube videos.

http://www.rjh-heritage.ch/index_htm_fi ... s%209H.pdf

Stephen

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Have you asked moggy shed full with his clearance of parts?
Or you can find nos such as https://www.lmslichfieldltd.com/9H-Luca ... lt-Low-ton
Last edited by Bill_qaz on Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Bill,

Thank you for the link. I am amazed that new old stock horns still exist.

I looked at the listing and unfortunately the electrical connections are not the same. The one in the listing has only a single connection whereas my old horn had 2x connections. I know it looks like the one in the listing has 2x connections but that is actually the same terminal.

I will try to repair one of the ones that I have.

Stephen

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I once rigged a Morris Minor horn to the doorbell push. Didn't half make you jump when someone came to the door! :lol: