Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
1000wannabe
MMOC Member: No

My new Series 2

Post by 1000wannabe »

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd introduce my new Minor that I collected this week after about 8 years of not having a Morris. It's an Australian 1956 Series 2 in Childers Green with a green interior where the seats have faded slightly to a nice turquoise colour and are in excellent condition. The original carpet is there in the rear, but very worn so its getting a whole new set.
The car has endured many years of what I call 'old man mods'. It's now fitted with an 1100 but with a smooth case gearbox. I don't know if its a 948 box or the original, but the shifter hasn't been moved. He also changed the speedo to a later one, moving the indicator light to a stalk mounted switch (but not the genuine Morris type), fitted ugly modern indicators lenses an alternator and PBR brake servo and a myriad of wiring changes and fuel plumbing.
It drives really nicely, pulling up hills with ease and the gearbox is excellent, quiet, easy changing and good synchros.

I intend to reverse a number of these and get the engine bay tidied and closer to original.
The only real rust that needs attending to is in some sort of strengthening bracket added to the floor under about where the rear leg of the front passenger seat rests on the floor. (as shown) I have a friend who has an earlier series 2 and his car doesn't have them. Is this a later car change?

The other thing I can't work out is the engine number. Its prefix is APJH and I can't find any info on what that means. Its definitely not an M. The car also has an 1100 plaque riveted to the block in the spot where the usual casting of engine size would be.
It also came with a whole bunch of spares including a spare rebuilt 950 engine, smooth case box, 3 diff centres, multiple carbs, generators, alternators, NOS engine rebuild parts, oill seals, brake parts... I'm still unboxing my early Christmas presents...
Cheers
Chris
P.s Sorry about the orientation of the photos, the forum has changed them all and I can't see how to sort it.
20240315_092503.jpg
20240315_092503.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 322 times
Attachments
Screenshot_20240316_164016_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20240316_164016_Messenger.jpg (103.62 KiB) Viewed 322 times
20240315_142553.jpg
20240315_142553.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 322 times
20240315_092528.jpg
20240315_092528.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 322 times
20240315_092516.jpg
20240315_092516.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 322 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: My new Series 2

Post by myoldjalopy »

I doubt that piece of rusty metal is original. As for 'old man mods', it does seem Dr. Frankenstein has been tinkering with it, but not enough to prevent you from rectifying things. Nice seats as well 8)
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I love the colour. You have a very interesting project that will keep you busy for some time but you will have a wonderful car when you are finished. I am slightly jealous.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
1000wannabe

Post by 1000wannabe »

Thanks for the replies guys. The metal underneath is a mystery. There are 2, one either side and they look very factory, even if they weren't fitted by Morris.
At a minimum, the rusty one has to come off otherwise it'd fail a roadworthy test.

I'm not one for all the modifications, but accept that indicators are a necessary evil these days. So I decided to get to a somewhat close as original compromise by fitting the dual filament l488 lamp that will be side light and front indicator, fit the spare grill panel so I can lose the extra lights that have been put in the original and find some subtle small rear lights that can mount on the bumper in addition to flashers within the trafficators.

There are also 2 pretty cool period accessory gauges, slimline ammeter and oil pressure. Not really in a good spot for viewing, but I'm not a fan of the one typically fitted into the dash panels. The radio will go as well. I do have a much more suitable older one that could go in, but it gets a bit cramped with the heater etc.
I do intend to take everything out of the dash and fix up all the scratches and wear so that'll improve the appearance.
The seats are in really good condition. A couple of spots where the pleat stitching has started to go, but the vinyl in intact, so i can remove them and renew the stitching easily enough.
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

All the best with your new car!

I don't understand the engine prefix either. APJM is 948cc Morris Minor 1000 according to this: https://www.mginfo.co.uk/upgrades4mgs/f ... umbers.pdf

Some engine re-builders used their own codes which are now a mystery. They would remove the original engine tag and put their own number on. The tag has to come off anyway if the block is skimmed.

If you crop the photo first, even a tiny amount the picture will stay in the correct orientation. I have no idea why that works.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
1000wannabe

Post by 1000wannabe »

Thanks for the photo tip.
Perhaps the engine code is an Australian thing?

I wondered whether it was something the previous owner had been up to. He was an engineer and used to take on all the unwanted local Morris's, save the parts and scrap the cars that were no good. He used to rebuild engines and sell them to people who needed them. The spare 950 I have has no engine number, it looks to have had a plate riveted in that spot, but it's gone. I've never seen this method before, all the A series I've seen here have it stamped in.
The Australian variations continue...
I was originally looking at a car that needed a lot of new interior. It seems over here that the number of pleats vs the colours used don't marry up to the UK.
And colours... we have colours not available in the UK and even the club lists over here aren't accurate. I did find one list and it had every odd colour that I've come across in the last few weeks looking. Alas, no paint formulas or codes that mean anything these days, but I work as a casual in a paint shop so will be able to get my Childers Green matched from the left overs in the tin.