Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cyrus
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering column pinch bolt problem

Post by cyrus »

Hi I fitted a new steering rack today and track rod ends, final bit was to replace the pinch bolt on the bottom of the column, it went a fair way in, in fact the end of it is exactly flush with the exit hole,problem is it will now go neither forwards nor backwards. It's kind of loose but with tight spots. Can't get a nut on it of course, can't tap it out as the pedals are in the way, anyone had this problem? Wish I had left the original pinch bolt in now. Maybe the shank is slightly bigger on the replacements?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Steering column pinch bolt problem

Post by philthehill »

Have you lined up the hole in the column with the waisted section of the rack pinion?
With all lined up the bolt will pass easily though the column and past the waisted section of the pinion.
If you have a shallow taper punch put it into the hole and wiggle it about and that should line everything up.
Make sure that there is no strain in the splines - support the column if necessary.

cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

Thanks Phil, yes the holes seemed to be lined up ok with the groove in the spline, the bolt went all the way through just to the end of the exit hole but now refuses to go further or go back. Not sure what has happened, struggling to get the thing out now. Easy enough to turn with a spanner in either direction but won't go further in, won't go back. Never had this problem before. Maybe will try clamping mole grips onto the nut tomorrow and tapping the mole grips with a hammer- it won't just screw itself out using a spanner
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Could it be a spline out ?

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

cyrus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:01 pm Hi I fitted a new steering rack today and track rod ends, final bit was to replace the pinch bolt on the bottom of the column, it went a fair way in, in fact the end of it is exactly flush with the exit hole,problem is it will now go neither forwards nor backwards. It's kind of loose but with tight spots. Can't get a nut on it of course, can't tap it out as the pedals are in the way, anyone had this problem? Wish I had left the original pinch bolt in now. Maybe the shank is slightly bigger on the replacements?
Is it a 5/16” bolt? Or should it be? Maybe a metric bolt supplied?
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

Thanks for the advice folks, finally sorted. Managed to get a small adjustable spanner on the shank of the bolt and by levering against the steering column and turning the bolt with a spanner it eventually came out. There wasn't much leverage but couldn't get anything bigger in there, bit of a grunty job. The bolt is not the same thread as the bolt that was fitted, not sure if it is metric or not, will check later. There was a burr on the edge of the bolt hole on the column which also caused a problem I think, lightly dressed that with a rat tail file, a bolt now passes through properly without wanting to be "threaded " in.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done. :tu1:
The correct bolt for this application is 1/4" BSF bolt but a 1/4" UNF bolt or in my case I have fitted a 12.9 high tensile UNF cap headed bolt.