Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Classic Machine Shop recon block

Post by BaritoneUke »

Looking to get recon block for my 1098 rebuild next month...anybody used classicmachineshop.com? They sound like the biz but I know nothing about them. They supply suitable pistons which is quite useful.
They do an "upgraded" block with "provision for a strap" for the centre crank bearing, sounds like not a bad idea, any thoughts?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Classic Machine Shop recon block

Post by philthehill »

https://www.classicmachineshop.co.uk/
They are just outside Nottingham - where are you?
At the moment have not found any reviews but they may be there somewhere.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Their website is very similar to these people: https://www.mccsraceengines.com/contact

I am not sure whether they are the same business or two parts of the same business.

Edit: I looked through my old e-mails and yes these are the same companies or two branches of the same company. My old e-mail has the address of MCCS as Gotham but their website now has a different address. The Classic Machine Shop website is the same address as the old MCCS address. I had some correspondence with a person called Gavin. I think they were moving at that time. He was very helpful and the company seems to be very professional but I have not yet used this company to do any work for me.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

philthehill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:08 pm https://www.classicmachineshop.co.uk/
They are just outside Nottingham - where are you?
At the moment have not found any reviews but they may be there somewhere.
I'm in the distant wooly north west but they seem to ship everywhere. And provide a shipping box for the exchange block 😀
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

svenedin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:34 pm Their website is very similar to these people: https://www.mccsraceengines.com/contact
Thanks for that, useful. They seem to have some standing in the motorsport world, they mention this on the machine shop website.
Stu555baker
MMOC Member: No

Post by Stu555baker »

Under no circumstances as a fellow racer would I recommend using them. They're the same people who were behind the a series spares fiasco. Unforunately they messed up my 1380 engine before i realised who they were. Ive had to have southam mini metro centre put right all the faults in order to use that engine as my now (spare) unfortunately the courts werent quick enough to action a hearing for small claims that i took out for the fiasco under mccs and i need a spare enfjne for this season so i payed another business to sort the issues which meant the court qction was no longer viable. Fortunately ive got finances that make it not auch an issue however for some it coukd be there savings etc. My engine was supposed to have a 140bhp but is only 120ish, compression noted as 200 in documention yet only 170, leaked more oil than any a series engine ive ever seen, weren't competent enough to fit the correct dizzy for the carburetor setup, didnt machine out valve guides to correct tolerance, used old parts, lost parts, crossed the polarity of the dizzy when they changed it in house, trued to say the issues were my own for fitting the engine (as any rally driver knows they know there car inside out and the mechanics, you can't rally unless you're completely mechanically competent as you need to fix the car on the go or fault find on the go and rebuild the car for every rally) ....I could go on and on, they obviously deny this because that's the sort they are however check a series spares reviews on trust pilot, or just google search a series spares and all the same horror stories are there. The stevenson family now operate as mccs and classic machine shop. They may use aliases such as mk or write false statements saying they're not related etc or write magazin articles when they first setup as mccs in a false guise however its all easily broken down jnto lies and deceit. However a quick search on companies house and it all ties in. Michael stevenson is the director, who is the father of Robert who was the director of a series spares, Roberts isn't mentioned as once a business has faced liquidation you're no longer able to operate as a director. Hence his father setup the new venture. I'm sure in due course the director ship will change. All above names are mentioned any various reviews and noted in reviews regarding CCJs etc.
They ruined many a classic car owners dreams when you read the reviews of how they operated a series spares.
Note they're prolific liars, as mentioned by vast majority of the reviews. Will lie through their teeth and plead they're not who they really are. You may get lucky and get something that works or you may get an absolute ringer.
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

Stu555baker wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 am Under no circumstances as a fellow racer would I recommend using them. They're the same people who were behind the a series spares fiasco.
Note they're prolific liars, as mentioned by vast majority of the reviews. Will lie through their teeth and plead they're not who they really are. You may get lucky and get something that works or you may get an absolute ringer.
Thanks for your input...I'll certainly tread very carefully. Haven't really got enough positive info to go with them at the moment. I've got a local machine shop I'll probably get a quote from them first.