Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rach.76
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1966 morris minor 1000 Oil Filter

Post by rach.76 »

What oil do I use on the axle and how much do I need to buy also where do I find engine oil flitter from please
Last edited by simmitc on Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated title and moved to Technical as it is not Parts For Sale as originally posted.
simmitc

1966 morris minor 1000 Oil Filter

Post by simmitc »

If the car is standard, then rear axle use SAE90 Hypoid / EP90 oil. Approx 1.5 pints; but fill until it comes out of the filler hole.
Engine oil filter - is it the original unit with a metal bowl and separate element, or has it been converted to a spin on one? If not sure, then post a photo of right hand side of engine. Either sort is easily available, just want to make sure that we recommend the correct filter.
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1966 morris minor 1000 Oil Filter

Post by olonas »

Also make sure the rear differential oil meets the specification API GL-4.
Excessive EP additives (GL-5) can attack non ferrous components, e.g. brass, bronze.
Like this- https://www.morrisminorspares.com/misce ... ly-p831147
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

Thank you so much I’m trying to get it back to original the paint job is ok but I would love to be able to find what the original colour was when it was 1st made but I wouldn’t no where to start 🙈 I’m lucky my brother rebuilds cars but this will be the oldest car he’s ever worked on my mum was 10 years old when my car was 1st on the road and she absolutely fell in love with my morris lol
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

You need a Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust at Gaydon. It will list the original colour, date built, date shipped, to which dealer, and a host of other details. You can also look behind the glove box liners and other trim as those areas may reveal the original body colour.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

rach.76 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:02 pm I would love to be able to find what the original colour was when it was 1st made but I wouldn’t no where to start
The areas I'd suggest to check:

Under the dashboard (above where the bonnet release handle is located)
Under the rear seat base (probably the easiest to check since you can just lift it and look).
Under the door kick plates (which may be asking for trouble if unbolted/lifted up since the nuts have usually rusted).

And then post some photos and someone should be able to tell you what colour you found :)
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

I don’t no how to post photos 🤦🏼‍♀️
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Save the photo to where you can access it. A small file size is good - if using Windows, then the snip tool will allow you to select and copy part of a photo and save to a small size.

Prepare post as usual. Scroll down and click on Attachments tab.
Click button <Add files>.
Browse to the file and select it.
Remember to click <Submit> when done.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

On a pc/mac you can drag and drop images directly into this text area to add them.

You can also (including mobile) add them by scrolling further down to the Options/Attachment tabs.

The attachments tab also allows you to attach files via the 'Add files' button.

Attached files (whether through drag 'n' drop or the Add files button) will all appear in this tabs area.

You can then Place inline or choose to delete images you've attached:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (100.73 KiB) Viewed 375 times
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

I don’t get chance to use a pc lol got 3 in the house and the kids are always on them doing collage work so I use my iPhone lol
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

My car has had a full new floor at some point so didn’t find anything under the back seat so today I’ll be looking under the dash the colour of my Bert is nice but would love to change it back to the original colour
My Bert has
My Bert has
IMG_1422.jpeg (286.5 KiB) Viewed 331 times
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

I don’t like the wheels at all so I’ve ordered some reconditioned original wheels to put on
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

rach.76 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:29 am I don’t like the wheels at all so I’ve ordered some reconditioned original wheels to put on
Are you interested in selling them?
1961 Morris Minor 1000
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

That might be the original colour actually although it has obviously been repainted at some stage. You are missing your pinstripe and the wing piping between wing and body is the wrong colour. As suggested, a Heritage Certificate will tell you the original colour or you might be able to find evidence of it somewhere in a hidden place in the car.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

It was sage green who ever sprayed the car didn’t do a good job they even hand painted the inside it looks a mess 😩 it’s having all new bolts seats carpets wheels Bert will be back to glory in no time I just don’t want to had Bert over to my brother lol I love driving Bert but I no when I get Bert back he will look like he should he’s having a full makeover which will start when my brother has finished the car he’s got in the garage Bert is being fully stripped he’s having a new engine wiring loom the works lol
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

Rocco I’m not selling the wheels my brother has already put his name on them lol
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

Steven the name of my car has been called Bert since it was 1st bought I’m lucky enough to have some original paperwork and everything has got Bert written on it
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

svenedin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:00 am wing piping between wing and body is the wrong colour.
or maybe not even there? (I wasn't sure if that's just empty space showing).
rach.76 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:11 am It was sage green
After 1962, the only green was Almond Green (Sage green was only from '56-'59).

So it's likely originally Almond green with a porcelain green pinstripe (and old english white painted front grille and wheels), green wing piping and a porcelain green vinyl interior (with green carpet).

Also the bonnet flash/handle should be painted with a metallic fleck, red burgandy paint in the circular area surrounding the 'M' - in the past there were some recommended nail polishes (Rimmel Exotica 061 or an equivilent) though they've been discontinued, other people have used paint:
viewtopic.php?p=581767

Since you say the paint job isn't very good you might be able to use an environmentally friendly paint remover like HomeStrip to take down the layers to see if there's any of the original paintwork under the white - your brother won't thank you since it's adding on a whole lot of work that you may then go and paint over anyway :D
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

A drift away from the original question :lol: All very interesting, really the colour is a topic in its own right under Bodywork; but I'm not going to split it out :-?

Rach, if you still want to know about the oil filter as originally asked, can you post a photo of what you have currently so that we can advise correctly. Given the upgraded wheels, are there any other modifications?
rach.76
Minor Friendly

Post by rach.76 »

The filter is paper never seen one of them before I’m having the brakes upgraded I’m also having a tracker fitted to Bert on Friday don’t want anyone to steal Bert 🥹 is there somewhere in this group where you can just chat I’m new to this and I just love old cars