'Modern car' steering vibration....

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

'Modern car' steering vibration....

Post by geoberni »

Just posting this here for a bit of general interest.

My 14 yr old Ford Kuga suddenly developed a bit of vibrations on the steering at around 45-55mph.
Thinking I'd lost a balance weight, after a few short journeys which confirmed the vibration, I took it into a local Tyre place to get the front wheel balances checked.

After a few minutes the guy came back and said 'You've got a brake problem mate, Driver's Front won't turn when it's jacked up and the disc is pretty hot...'
After quoting me nearly £600 to replace the front brakes, I declined his offer and carefully drove it the few miles home, avoiding braking if at all possible. When I got home I grabbed my Infrared Temp Gun and check the 4 brake disc temperatures. Three of them were 18-20C.
The offending Driver's Front was almost 270C :o :o

I stripped that side down first, and the calliper was solid, a G Clamp wouldn't retract it at all. :roll:
When I tried to remove the Disc on that side, it was solid, nothing would move it. When I eventually cut it off with a Cutting wheel, I had to go the whole hog until I only had the mating face and about 1/4 of the side wall, see photo for what I mean.
Basically I removed the main disc by cutting through the Red Lines, then I cut around the centre in segments as per the Blue lines.
I still had to use a cold chisel to separate the 'front' disc of it from the drive shaft face.
20240327_115433.jpg
20240327_115433.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 353 times
Disc Cuts.JPG
Disc Cuts.JPG (49.38 KiB) Viewed 353 times
There was so much cooked gunk/rust around the drive that had been holding it 'glued' on, with it up on 2 axle stands, I ran it in 1st gear while abrading the gunk/rust off with an old Surform Rasp.

The other side all came apart quite normally.

The rebuild took longer than expected as it turned out that although I'd ordered the correct, 25mm thick Discs, the manufacturer had screwed up. Packaging had the right part number on it, the Discs had the right part number etched on them, but they were 28mm thick, NOT 25mm :evil:

Total cost of parts about £173 including Discs, Callipers and Hoses.
Correct Discs arrived this morning, all fitted and Test Drive was satisfactory...

It's not just 70 yr old classics that can require all weekend for a 'simple job'....
Basil the 1955 series II

Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: 'Modern car' steering vibration....

Post by Chipper »

Nice saving, but at least the garage correctly identified the fault.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chipper wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm Nice saving, but at least the garage correctly identified the fault.
The guy was a bit dim to actually touch the disc though, I think he might have burnt his fingertip.. :roll:
I was surprised there had been no noticeable 'pull' to the right on the steering; I assume being FWD the transmission compensated :-?

I think the bill would have increased over their original estimate, given the amount of work it took.
I guess a welding torch to heat it up might have enable it to be knocked off, a gas blowlamp wasn't doing it. I was using a 6lb hammer :o
Basil the 1955 series II

Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Chipper »

Yes, they can get pretty well jammed on over the years with corrosion. Often, giving it a good soaking with penetrating oil/diesel/ATF, etc. for a few hours beforehand helps.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chipper wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm Yes, they can get pretty well jammed on over the years with corrosion. Often, giving it a good soaking with penetrating oil/diesel/ATF, etc. for a few hours beforehand helps.
I gave it 2 -3 days spraying it in several times from the back, each stud hole and the centre boss, it just wasn't travelling anywhere...
That's why it needed the segmented cutting, that was really the last resort, even then I had to get a chisel between the disc remains and the face of the drive shaft. It wasn't coming easily.
I can only assume the heat had done it, as the other side only needed the normal couple of taps from a regular hammer. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II