Ethanol protection for the original Valvemaster Plus?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Ethanol protection for the original Valvemaster Plus?

Post by Chief »

Hi,
I just wondered if anyone knew of any compatible ethanol protection that could be used along with the original Castrol Valvemaster Plus (before it became Classic and lost its octane boost) as the company said their Ethaguard poduct must not be mixed with the original VM+.

I found a whole unopened bottle sitting in the garage and while I'd probably use it without any ethanol protection in E5, I figured I'd ask in case someone knows of a compatible product.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: Ethanol protection for the original Valvemaster Plus?

Post by Myrtles Man »

For some years now I've been successfully using, with no detrimental effects, Valvemaster Plus together with this:-

https://www.frost.co.uk/ethomix-corrosi ... UQEALw_wcB
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Thanks for the reply, can I check, do you mean Castrol branded Valvemaster Plus, or Classic branded Valvemaster Plus (or both?).
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Can't be mixed with anything else but I do like a bit of lead. Tetraboost. Extremely toxic as a concentrate but it does make an engine run well.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Chief wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:10 pm Thanks for the reply, can I check, do you mean Castrol branded Valvemaster Plus, or Classic branded Valvemaster Plus (or both?).
It's Castrol Valvemaster Plus, bought a number of years ago for use in a previously-owned car, still on the shelf in the garage and tried on the Moggy in a 'what could possibly go wrong?' frame of mind - answer, nothing at all - the car runs as sweetly as can be. I'm reasonably sure that Frost claim that the stuff can be mixed with various other additives too, so I personally would have no qualms about including it with the Classic variety when my Castrol stuff runs out. In any case, I think it's probably exactly the same witches' brew but with a slightly different marketing slant.

As regards Stephen's support for Tetraboost, I too am a fan and used to dose my Lotus Elan with it but it's so flipping expensive and you can only buy it in bulk, which can oblige low-mileage users like me to continue using it well after its use-by date, which may well defeat the object of the exercise anyway.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Can I ask with unleaded head conversion and comparatively low performance standard engine in road use, what is the additive protecting from the 5 percent ethanol and what is gained? Octane boost is definitely not a requirement in a standard A series.
Regards Bill
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Thanks, as I understand it the new Classic VM/+ is a different formula.

It may have been on here, but there was a post complaining about the changes.

The information in the post basically said there's now little point getting the Plus version over the regular version as the Plus version only differs in its addition of cleansing agents (the octane booster was removed, both had ethanol protection added) and as most petrol from the big brands has cleansing agents already in it, you may as well save your money and go Super Unleaded E5 + regular Valvemaster.

The reason I always used VM+ in the past was it was the only FBHVC approved additive compared to the others that were out. Howver I see now others stating they're FBHVC approved, while I could find no information that the new VM/+ is still actually approved by them or not since all the information was in regards to the old Castrol product.

It's a bit of a shame that judging by the Tetraboost images, it doesn't look as convenient to measure out as the likes of VM/+ though I presume that's down to the warnings of toxicity, flammability and oxidation, and a 3 year BBE date.

That said it's actually not all that expensive, for example 500ml of VM (standard) is £38, 945ml of Tetraboost is £47.95 so you're only paying an additional £9.95 and getting 445ml extra.

Though looking into it, I see the real expense comes from one bottle of Tetraboost treating 116 litres of fuel, while one bottle of VM treats 250 litres.
what is the additive protecting from the 5 percent ethanol and what is gained?
I'm no authority but as I understand it, if the car is regularly used then it's probably not much as it's all being burnt off and not sitting round. The main thing I *think* is corrosion going on to rubbers/metals if it's sitting around.

Also I believe E5 means 'up to 5% ethanol' meaning you don't even know what % the fuel even contains in the first place, just that it *might* be as high as 5%.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Chief wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:01 pm

That said it's actually not all that expensive, for example 500ml of VM (standard) is £38...

Mm, seems like you may be buying your Valvemaster from the wrong supplier...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166469924514 ... R6qelsTSYw
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I was using Amazon for reference :)
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Chief wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:01 pm Thanks, as I understand it the new Classic VM/+ is a different formula.

It may have been on here, but there was a post complaining about the changes.

The information in the post basically said there's now little point getting the Plus version over the regular version as the Plus version only differs in its addition of cleansing agents (the octane booster was removed, both had ethanol protection added) and as most petrol from the big brands has cleansing agents already in it, you may as well save your money and go Super Unleaded E5 + regular Valvemaster.

The reason I always used VM+ in the past was it was the only FBHVC approved additive compared to the others that were out. Howver I see now others stating they're FBHVC approved, while I could find no information that the new VM/+ is still actually approved by them or not since all the information was in regards to the old Castrol product.

It's a bit of a shame that judging by the Tetraboost images, it doesn't look as convenient to measure out as the likes of VM/+ though I presume that's down to the warnings of toxicity, flammability and oxidation, and a 3 year BBE date.

That said it's actually not all that expensive, for example 500ml of VM (standard) is £38, 945ml of Tetraboost is £47.95 so you're only paying an additional £9.95 and getting 445ml extra.

Though looking into it, I see the real expense comes from one bottle of Tetraboost treating 116 litres of fuel, while one bottle of VM treats 250 litres.
what is the additive protecting from the 5 percent ethanol and what is gained?
I'm no authority but as I understand it, if the car is regularly used then it's probably not much as it's all being burnt off and not sitting round. The main thing I *think* is corrosion going on to rubbers/metals if it's sitting around.

Also I believe E5 means 'up to 5% ethanol' meaning you don't even know what % the fuel even contains in the first place, just that it *might* be as high as 5%.
Yes you're right. It isn't convenient to dose the fuel with Tetraboost. Tetraethyl lead (TEL) is an unstable organometallic compound which breaks down in light so it has to be in a metal container. It would break down in the kind of bottle that Valvemaster comes in. TEL is also very poisonous as a concentrate and it can be adsorbed into the body if spilt on the skin. Mixing it up is a fiddle and needs a measuring cylinder, gloves, funnel etc. Quite rightly TEL was withdrawn from petrol a long time ago now but it was and is a very effective valve wear preventer. I do feel a bit bad for using it because a) it probably isn't needed b) it is a bit antisocial. Having said that the number of cars using TEL is minuscule compared to when every car on the road was belching it out.

It is shame that FBHVC no longer tests and endorses fuel additives but they explain that the formulations kept changing and it was very expensive to do the proper testing. I do wonder what the different additives actually contain because they don't say. Some contain potassium which is benign but others probably have potentially nasty ingredients.

Regarding keeping fuel from going off. I have had a lot of success with "STA-BIl" for my garden petrol equipment. Every year I would have problems starting equipment in the Spring but since I have used a fuel stabiliser I can get my lawnmower, strimmer etc to start without difficulty. So as far as I am concerned that really does make a big difference.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen