Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Crank rear oil seal

Post by BaritoneUke »

Fitting the new improved rear oil seal is one job I need to do on my 10cg... I think machining is needed is this just making it flat or is there more?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Crank rear oil seal

Post by philthehill »

There is no machining needed with fitting the crankshaft rear lip seal but I would steer well clear of fitting a crank rear (lip) seal.
Unless the flywheel mounting flange is perfectly smooth or you have fitted a speedy seal sleeve the lip seal may well be torn to shreds very soon after you have started the engine.
Get the original set up with the return scroll working as it should and you will have no trouble......
I did have a rear lip seal fitted to my 1400cc 'A' Series but it was soon discarded and oil return enabled by the scroll.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Some years ago I enquired of this modification to ESM and I was advised against it. I thought that was rather honest of them to not take my money. It would be a reasonable idea to check the condition of your engine breathing system. You might find that with the engine breathing working perfectly, you have no oil leaking.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I can only echo the above. The kit is not worth it. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but it does not solve the problem. The instructions (at least with one I fitted many years ago) gave very tight tolerances for the flange, and most crankshafts that I have measured do not meet those requirements. The instructions also required the copious use of a sealant material - not a good engineering solution.

With a good crank and bearings and the correct breathing system, you will achieve a much better "seal" than with the lip seal kit.
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

Thank you all, I'll save my money and try and get the scroll system working properly.
If it doesn't I'll fit a little catch tray underneath. This car is NOT going to leave embarrassing little deposits around 😁