Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

New Tank

Post by BaritoneUke »

Putting in a new esm petrol tank. Repainting (rather a flaky powder coating). Needed to grind the corners a bit on the boot tank flange to fit but not a bad fit and lines up with previous fixing points.
Bed onto the flange with plummer's putty (quite stiff, waterproof and doesn't set)?
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: New Tank

Post by King Kenny »

That plumbers putty is good stuff. I used it to seal the glass on my telephone box.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Just make sure that there is good metal to metal contact between Tank and Body Shell somewhere, DON'T just rely on the screws to perform that function.
Otherwise you'll be wondering why the Fuel Gauge isn't working, or it's reading wrongly.....
Basil the 1955 series II

BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

King Kenny wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:05 pm That plumbers putty is good stuff. I used it to seal the glass on my telephone box.
Those boxes take a battering!
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

geoberni wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:28 pm Just make sure that there is good metal to metal contact between Tank and Body Shell somewhere, DON'T just rely on the screws to perform that function.
Otherwise you'll be wondering why the Fuel Gauge isn't working, or it's reading wrongly.....
Very good point...especially as I've gone overboard with the painting. I'll put in a wire link to boot floor then that's sorted. Cheers.