Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TOMO28B
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Wipers

Post by TOMO28B »

Hi all,can anyone recommend a two speed wiper system. I took the car out the other day and it started raining heavily and the wipers were pretty poor and I had to pull over and let the downpour abate a bit before continuing. Didn't they have downpours in the sixties,how did drivers cope back then with single speed wipers I will never know. I have heard that two speed motors etc are available,but what problems am I likely to encounter. Thanks.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Wipers

Post by geoberni »

You've got a '68, try doing the rain in a Split Screen... :lol:
But seriously I can't imagine fitting a 2 speed is difficult on a 1000 at least the motor is easy to get at.
Of course, what the relative speeds are, and whether it's actually a big improvement or not, is a good question hopefully someone who's fitted one can tell you. :-?

Incidentally, I do use Rain-X on mine, which helps.
Last edited by geoberni on Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

There is a 2 speed wiper kit available from ESM. It includes a new motor, wiring loom, dash switch and a plate to adapt the motor mounting.

I considered this kit because the single speed Lucas DR3a is not very capable in heavy rain. However, the 2 speed motor is not original and as the wiper motor is so obvious in the engine bay is not something I would be prepared to change.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ch-p829059

If you use Rain-X on the screen it does help. Before applying the Rain-X make sure the screen and wiper blades are very clean. The paste type petrochemical glass cleaners which contain abrasive particles are far superior.

If you do decide to change please do not throw away your Lucas DR3a wiper motor. These are getting scarce and they are expensive. I would probably buy your DR3a as a spare......

How did they cope with single speed wipers. They slowed right down. I have managed with single speed wipers in all weathers for 35 years!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The two speed motor has a normal speed that is slightly slower than the standard motor and a high speed that is considerably faster. It's basically a motor from the later classic mini. I used it for many years as I commuted on dual carriageways. It is worthwhile if you use the car for daily transport. Climate change means that we will have more frequent and intense rain than in the 50s and 60s, and there is more spray from bigger vehicles and faster roads.

Things to watch: The rest of the system needs to be in good condition - pay attention to rack and wheelboxes. Consider fitting heavier arms and blades - again, those from later minis work well. Worn components can lead to the blades lifting off the screen and/or flying off the outside edge.

There are several motors that can be used, but they are now rare, and switching can be tricky. For simplicity, go with the kits available from David Manners, ESM, and other parts suppliers.

I have found that the self-park switch on the 2-speed motor is unreliable and expect to change it every two years. In 40+ years I have never had to adjust a standard self park switch. For sedate and choice based driving I would stick with standard, for daily use on fast roads then go for 2-speed.