Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear brake shoes

Post by les »

Is this assembly correct ? I haven’t got the manual with me, where I’m working, and foolishly didn’t observe the positioning before dismantling. The left hand spring is not sitting vertically ? I think the shoes are in the correct orientation to each other ? I had a struggle fitting them, is why I’m querying it.
IMG_3333.jpeg
IMG_3333.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 334 times

simmitc

Re: Rear brake shoes

Post by simmitc »

Moving to "Mechanical" as it's not really "Bodywork" :roll:

Assembly looks good to me, glad to see the beehive springs in place and the return springs on the inside of the shoes :)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes sorry, more relevant in Mechanical.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Looks good. Well done on the dreaded beehive springs!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Shoes with large flat to Fixed Block and 'pointy end' to Piston :tu1:
Springs behind Shoes with 'double coil spring to Piston side :tu1:
Beehives fitted :tu1:

All looks fine to me.
The first time I did my brakes, I messed up and fitted springs in front of shoes,... but only on one side.
Must've got distracted..... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for all comments, one more thing if I may. I’m replacing the bearing while I’m there, however the bearing I have is sealed, whereas the original was standard, I have ordered a standard bearing (open) as I think packing with grease would be better. What is the advantages of a sealed bearing ? I presume they are grease filled.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Modern bearing are often packed with grease and 'sealed for life'; on the principle that if it's sealed the grease can't escape, so reducing maintenance and the chances that it will fail due to lack of lubrication.
Basil the 1955 series II

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I thought that the rear bearings were lubricated by the diff oil.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Correct - the rear wheel bearings are lubricated by the oil in the rear axle.
There is a trend to use sealed bearings for the rear hub of a Minor. The sealed bearing is in some ways better than the open seal as crud/metal particles in the axle oil cannot get into the bearing and cause problems.
Dependent upon the way the bearing is sealed a down side is that the hub seal may not get enough oil to lubricate the lip of the seal and the seal gets torn/damaged and fails.
There has been some previous discussion on the matter of sealed rear wheel bearings on this forum and very mixed reviews were given.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

paul 300358 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am I thought that the rear bearings were lubricated by the diff oil.
Yes, as originally intended and designed; but I imagine the bearings we get now, just as with the bearings fitted 70 years ago, are simply the appropriate size, 'off-the-shelf'.
Bearings back then were always supplied as made, for lubrication how the user wished.
Depending on the level of storage protection, they might have been protected with some very thick grease and wrapped in greaseproof paper. The end user would then spend time washing it out in spirit before lubricating to their required spec.
Now they come manufactured for fit n'forget.....
As the non sealed alternatives are still in circulation, I guess it's down to user preference, taking into account Phil's comments about the lack of lubrication to the hub seals.
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I was looking for some general purpose grease today, found some and noticed printed along with other stuff, that it was usable up to 5 years from manufacture date. I didnt know that !! Regarding sealed V open bearings, I’m going for open. Apparently ESM supply ones made by FAG, the sealed ones I have are SKF.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:01 pm I was looking for some general purpose grease today, found some and noticed printed along with other stuff, that it was usable up to 5 years from manufacture date. I didnt know that !!
Yes, lubricants etc have a shelf life.
When I was in the RAF (heavens knows what they do now, there's so many contractors involved instead of uniformed engineers) all packaged Oils, Lubricants, Glues, etc had a date of manufacture and shelf life on the container.
If at the work-face you found your forward holding had gone out of date, it was quarantined, and the the Supply system would check to see if it had been extended.
Basically, if there was a lot of a particular batch still available, some sampling would take place to see if it could be given an extension to it's shelf life.
Every month a list would be published of what was extended and what was to be disposed of. It wasn't uncommon to be using a tub/tube of grease or glue with a couple of life extensions written on the container in permanent marker, e.g. 'ext **/** ' (month/year).

It always struck me as odd that for example, you could use a tube of grease on 28 February and it would then be doing it's function for possibly many years, but on 1 March you had to bin it....
The disposal bin was always worth looking through if you wanted some grease or glue at home, recycling instead of going to waste..... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well that was a surprise to me. You’re always learning !
Thanks for your post.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Interesting discussion on the matter here (including Geoberni's point about aircraft industry practice):-

https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/does ... ate.35899/
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Having just checked the various greases and lubricant I have (at least 10) non of them have a use by or sell by date.
So long as the grease is in a sealed container it will not deteriorate.
I would agree with the argument for regular quality control/testing of lubricants used in the aircraft industry.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The grease in question that I have, was manufactured 5 years ago last week ! I took a chance and used it :D