Who's got the newest Morris Morrs Minor

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James - St. Helens
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Who's got the newest Morris Morrs Minor

Post by James - St. Helens »

It would be intresting to find out who has got the newest Morris Minor.

I can claim to have a Morris Minor two-door saloon that was sold on almost the last day of production 11th November 1970.

The Chassis No is - MA255 1284118

From information on the web -

The last 4-door saloon was 1288299 (November 11th, 1970).
The last saloon shipped to Denmark was 1288317 (November 11th, 1970).
The last 2-door saloon was 1288377 (November 12th, 1970).

Something else of interest the original service book say that the car had its 39000 ( or 39 Months ) service with a mileage of 27258 on the 5/11/84

14 years to do 27000 mile isn't bad is it ?

James.
Last edited by James - St. Helens on Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cam

Post by Cam »

I would assume that the last Morris Minor would be registered in New Zealand, as they continued with them until about 1973 (I think), or did you just mean the last UK model?
James - St. Helens
Minor Friendly

I do not mind whether if it's from the UK or abroad.

If it helps -

who has the newest registered car ( highest Chassis Number ) from the UK.

who has the newest registered car ( highest Chassis Number ) from the any where else in the world.
Cam

Post by Cam »

James,

I'm afraid I can't help with my chassis no: 124889, and I thought it was a pretty late model ('69).

It would also be interesting to see who has the earliest car (apart from number 1, obviously!! 8) 8) )

P.S. your chassis number has a missing digit!! was this an omitted for secuity purposes or was it a mistake? (I have omitted the last digit of mine just in case :wink: )
Willie
Minor Legend

youngest Minor

Post by Willie »

I have no further details but there was one Minor which was constructed
using 100% new spare parts several years after production stopped.
Must have cost a fortune!!
Willie
James - St. Helens
Minor Friendly

Sorry It was a mistake.

James
Chris
Minor Friendly

Post by Chris »

Yes Willie, there was a saloon made in 1974, and there's an article on it in the members area. It cost £3,925.04, which I suppose was quite a lot of money then.

BUT...

Therefore is it the newest "Morris Minor", or the only "Dutton - Foreshaw" Minor ever made?

Chris
Chris Morley

last minor built?

Post by Chris Morley »

The Dutton Forshaw Minor must be the last built in the U.K? In current monetary terms it would be like paying 30 grand plus for a Rover dealer to build a Rover 100/Metro from spares. It goes to show the loyalty Minor owners felt for their cars almost 30 years ago.

Does anyone know if the car still exists? The owner would be cursing the fact that (uniquely) he/she still has to pay car tax!

I believe Minor LCVs were built until 1974 in New Zealand.

Apparently it took some time to sell the last Minor Saloons hence the number of 'J' reg cars in the U.K. I wonder if there are any 'K' reg cars out there? (August 1971 onwards).
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I'm not sure I'd count the Dutton as the last one, though it would be very interesting to know if it still exists - and a tribute to how good spare parts used to be... :wink:

I have 2 'J' reg minors on the drive but only 125... and Gayles's car 126... so they are nowhere near the last.
I have seen a K reg Minor a few years ago so they do exist, but that doesn't mean it was the last made as it may have been stuck at some quiet dealer etc.. for a long time.
If the MMOC details were on a database - they might be able to find the last made car in the club??
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
fweddy
Minor Fan

An NZ one!

Post by fweddy »

Yes! Here in New Zealand we did continue LCV production until '73 with some not registered until '74.

Our chassis numbers fit into the UK numbering system and it seems the number was issued on shipping rather than assembly. So for example my '57 4 dr (FAH55509077) fits to about March '57 in UK but was actually first put on the road here on 13th December '57. So while our plates may not be later our vehicles may be younger.

I also have a 1968 flatdeck with 247627

A 1970 van with 283626P

And a 1973, 1098 wellside pickup with 314101N
Ian.J.Dale

Post by Ian.J.Dale »

Mine was built within the last day or so of production of Minor saloons having a very late saloon chassis number. Traveller vehicles lasted a lot longer once production was relocated to Adderley Park

Ian
Last edited by Ian.J.Dale on Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

One point to note is that the commercials have a seperate chassis numbering system to other MMs!
jackp

Post by jackp »

My Traveller was first registered 01/10/1971 and I was told by original owner that it was 69th from the last produced ---- does that count ??
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Taking this somewhat further, how about the latest registered ones. I seem to remember some ex-MOD travellers being sold into civillian use with 'T' suffix plates ('78-'79)
Cam

Post by Cam »

What about imported exports?? a bit of a rare animal, but I bet it happened, I wonder what year they stopped issuing import year plates, and changed over to age related? I bet it was quite recent.

I think it's best to stick to the chassis numbers!!!!

But it would be interesting to see the latest plate, as Vulcan suggests
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

At the BT sell off memorabilia auction a couple of weeks ago there was a Minor van needed a bit of work that was on a `L` 1972 plate, but as to its manufacturing date Cam is right about sticking to the chassis number, I dont know if anyone else remembers but the club got from Ireland a complete bodyshell that was unused from an old dealer, so there will always be some that are registered some time after they were manufactured.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
moggyman999

Post by moggyman999 »

In the late 90s there was an artical in the classic cars magazine, comparing the first & last minors. It claimed that the J reg 2dr featured was the last two door built. It was trafalgar blue & was also for sale at the time. There have also been a few fascinating articles about "new" morris minors. Original ones that were never sold & have sat layed up with 15 miles on the clock! cool. lol. This one was still in as new condition as well!
REGARDS LEE & SNOOPY (SNP)

See Snoopy in the flesh at

http://groups.msn.com/MorrisMinorownersUK
jane_b
Minor Friendly

Post by jane_b »

james, mine was registered in October 1970, so it was one of the last 5,000 also.
I am interested to know what is on your horn push. (I know Cam Im back on this! LOL!!) I have an austin push on mine (deemed original by a garage owning friend but Im not yet convinced). I wondered if the last ones were a mix of austin and morris before they became totally austin.
Jane
x
[img]http://homepages.tesco.net/janebarker/img/minorblue.gif[/img]
<b>BLOSSOM!
Chris Morley

Morris Horn Push

Post by Chris Morley »

Jane, you're getting confused about Austin badged versions. This only applied to commercials (made from about 1970 until 1972). No passenger saloons or travellers were ever turned out with Austin badges , crinckled grille etc. In fact there is no such thing as an Austin Minor - the Austin commercials were not described as Minors.

Chances are that the original Morris horn push malfunctioned at some point. It may well be that there were no genuine Morris ones left, hence the use of a genuine Austin version on your car.

My horn push disintegrated several years ago - ESM provided a new replacement, but it had some obscure logo on it. As far as I know you can't get a genuine new push with the 'M' on it. I did get a very good one off E-bay from a guy in California. Eventually I'll fit it to my car... :) When you get Minor Matters you'll see adverts in the back for dismantlers who can probably supply a good s/hand horn push. Also they do come up on E-Bay from time to time.
jane_b
Minor Friendly

Post by jane_b »

I salvaged a morris one from a donor car I have, just havent put it on yet! I rather liked the austin knight so I keep him on :)
Jane
x
[img]http://homepages.tesco.net/janebarker/img/minorblue.gif[/img]
<b>BLOSSOM!