Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kaj
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Car covers

Post by kaj »

My car sits outside, and there is no prospect of it having an indoor home. Due to the winter coming up and the liability of water getting in (it also has trafficators) I was thinking about getting a protective cover for it. There seem to be a lot on the market and is there anything I should look out for, or has anyone got a recommendation? Thanks in advance
KirstMin
Minor Fan

Post by KirstMin »

Hello, I know something on this having shopped around for various covers in the past. My car is in a similar situation to yours:

I think the best covers you can get are from a company called covercraft. The 2 best ones they do are the Noah and Weathershield fabric. The latter being more expensive.

I have the Noah one; both come with a restraining strap and are tailor made for the car shape.

The difference between Noah and Weathershield is that Noah is thicker and so will resist minor scratches and scuffs such as prams and little sods with keys! The Weathershield one is totally waterproof though. You can get samples, more info and a quote from them:

http://www.covercraft-europe.com

BUT!!!! All the UK sellers of these car covers have them imported from the US:

http://www.carcoverworld.com/

This is something I worked out after I had my first one nicked. Basically, in the US they are nearly 1/2 the price but the site above charges $80 shipping to UK. In the end I saved about £45 even with the additional excise and shipping costs. This I guess is the UK companies’ profit margin! They come IDENTICAL from wherever you buy them and all the UK companies do is have them sent to you from the US distributor.

I have had some cheaper covers in the past and they either leak a lot or allow dirt to get through (which results in scratching to the paintwork) or don’t protect from UV and blow off in the wind.

I think all in all I shed out about £175 for mine but do the maths if buying from the US because the exchange rate has changed. I know it sounds like a lot but these are much better than other covers I have used.

Cheers,

Carcovernerd :lol: :lol:

PS: if getting the Noah one then get some fabric paint and stencil in LARGE letters the reg number accross both sides - less likely to be knicked then
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I got mine from argos and its pretty good! its breathable, and ties on with a bit of string so it won't blow off. It doesn't let water or dirt in and was about £40....
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
kaj
Minor Friendly

Post by kaj »

Matt, is the argos one ok to put on a wet car or does it have to be completely dry? Sorry for the late reply, no access to computer
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

i bought one yesterday fron halfords"tyvek" £40 ,when i got it home its made of 2 layers of paper!, anyway car was bone dry this morning
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1070767
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

kaj, i have put it on the car wet, and it slowly dries put through it. However the car wants to be clean (as with all covers that touch the bodywork) so you don't get the cover scraping small bits of grit around.....
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
kaj
Minor Friendly

Post by kaj »

Thanks for your help. I'll give the one from Halfords a go
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

well its been blowing a gale hear lately, halfords covers seem to be holding up ok, anyway they r both going into storage this week
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1070767
KirstMin
Minor Fan

Post by KirstMin »

i'm telling you, you get what you pay for. I've been through all these covers. The weathershield one is sooo breathable and you can run a tap over it and it wont leak, ever. Noah will prevent any unwanted scratches from passers by too... get some SAMPLES and see for yourself.

I know the options I gave are more expensive but how much would a garage cost you coz they are about £12,000 in London.
Kirsten (me not the car) is my name and I'm male!!