Timing a Golf

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RogerRust
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Timing a Golf

Post by RogerRust »

Can any one give me a clue how to set the timing on a 1994 1.4 Golf.

It has electronic ignition and the EMU varies the timing so I can see a way to set it up.

It stutters a little bit when you open the throttle from tick-over then its fine.

I might just advance it a bit (?) and see what happens, but I'm sure that there is a better way to set it up.

Any ideas??

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Is it single point injection (looks just like a carb) or multipoint?

Also might be worth running some injection/carb cleaner through and giving it a good blast.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Luxobarge
Minor Fan

Post by Luxobarge »

The timing is ECU controlled, so there's no way to adjust it without either some major bodgery in moving the crankshaft sensor or re-mapping the ECU, neither of which will sort the problem you have.

It's highly likely to be more to do with the injection system - having the injector cleaned is a good idea, as is cleaning the throttle body. Also make sure the distributor is good & clean, and it has good plugs/leads etc. A good service with new filters etc. is always a good starting point too.

Cheers :D
Some people are like slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you throw them downstairs.
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

I've read somewhere the coil packs can fail.
I wonder if you are suffering from the start of such ?

Paul H.
Luxobarge
Minor Fan

Post by Luxobarge »

paulhumphries wrote:I've read somewhere the coil packs can fail.
I wonder if you are suffering from the start of such ?

Paul H.
Yes, if it's a conventional-looking single coil with a king lead, they are quite reliable, but if it's a coil "pack" (effectvely a coil per cylinder but packaged together in a block) then they do fail quite regularly - I can't remember on this model though.

The 3rd type is a pencil coil - one coil per cylinder again, but sits directly above the spark plug usually. Too modern for this mdoel though I think, but just as unreliable.

:D :D
Some people are like slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you throw them downstairs.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

IIRC this engine is pretty much identical in physical state to the older, basic 1272cc engines. they suffered from serious oil pressure problems if not cared for. No disrespect meant though as it's not unusual for these engines to have a hard time. 1400cc and 60bhp is not much to propel a Mk3 Golf.
If this could be the case then you might be looking at oil contamination of the inlet charge. They had (have?) a breather from the bottom end that fed into a plastic filter pod and then into the inlet. On poorly engines these pods are choked with gammy oil and on start up the pressure build up can blow the contents en-mass into the intake. once cleared the pods can breathe the waste oil at a rate that the combustion can deal with. These pods are quite easy to replace.
I had a mate whose Ford Orion had a similar problem. at 140K miles the oil filler cap blew off and hit the bonnet with a hell of a thud. When he saw the mess he was all ready to send the car down the scrapper. However we cleaned the oil pod out and he ran the thing for another 30K miles. :D
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

lots of food for thought there.

I have just replaced the distributor. Oil was leaking up the shaft and getting inside the cap. I got a brand new one on ebay for £40 its better than it was but still hesitates a bit. I'll try carb cleaner and perhaps some injector cleaner if it is indeed single point injection. I assumed it was a carburetor - Time to look in the manual!!

I'll look for the plastic filter pod thing as well worth cleaning out if I can get to it.

thanks for the help.

Roger

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

How can it be injection if it has a carb?
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

It looked like a carb to me but it' sthe single point injection throttle body

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Aha !!! :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php