Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lukey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Cleaning things

Post by Lukey »

I want to clean my alternator up before it goes on, how would I get it looking new? Also what would be the best way to bring my iron nuts and bolts back to shiny metal?
'67 Morris 1000
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Wire brush for the alternator, replace for the nuts and bolts!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Alloy wheel cleaner (from Poundshop) used carefully with a tooth brush does a good job. Try not to let the chemicals go inside. Or as above wire brush it! But again - don't let any stray wires fall inside!
Most bolts /nuts will have been plated - once this is damaged they are going to rust. Don't make the mistake of going for 'stainless' bolts - especially in contact with the bodywork. They set up a 'couple' with steel - and the steel rots away!
ImageImage
Luxobarge
Minor Fan

Post by Luxobarge »

When I restored my Midget, to get the alternator looking like new, I took it apart and seperated the alloy end castings and grit-blasted them, then lacquered them. Then I painted and lacquered the steel plate centre part and re-assembled (greased the bearings while it was apart too).
But then I'm like that.....

Nuts & bolts I replaced with polished stainless steel - but then .... see above! :wink: :wink:
Some people are like slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you throw them downstairs.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - if the SS bolts are not in contact with the steel body - no worries.
ImageImage
webbnuts
Minor Fan

Post by webbnuts »

Have you seen that advert where the kid tries to fit his scooter in his moms dishwasher? :D
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

webbnuts wrote:Have you seen that advert where the kid tries to fit his scooter in his moms dishwasher? :D
That's the kind of thing I do with car parts :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Lukey
Minor Fan

Post by Lukey »

Oh oh oh one last thing before I foget, I've got to clean an SU up that is caked in oxide all over the dash pot, body and on the piston and inside the dash pot. Best gheto way to remove this?
'67 Morris 1000
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Alloy wheel cleaner from Poundland - plus tooth brush. Clean the brush well afterwards - or it tastes kind of funny when next brushing teeth.
ImageImage
Lukey
Minor Fan

Post by Lukey »

Ah I will try, I think it's a bit more caked on than you are thinking though. Would wire wool be OK? I'll get some alloy wheel cleaner on Monday.
'67 Morris 1000
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - wire wool and/or fine wire brush - the type sold for suede shoes is useful. Not too good on the shoes later !
ImageImage
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Frost do an alloy repair/clean/shine kinds spray....

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... ostSubcat=

I can confirm it works and I think RogerRust has used it too....?
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

I was amazed how effective carb cleaner sprays are - £5 from most motor accessories shops - you could try that too.
]
Lukey
Minor Fan

Post by Lukey »

I though they were for shifting varnish and gunk? I've put it in a bath of parafin and been wire wooling it which has worked amazingly so far.
'67 Morris 1000
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - carb cleaner is for varnish and gunk - exactly what will be on your carb! beware - it's Toluene - and highly flammable.
ImageImage
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Careful with that wire wool, Lukey, don't rub too hard in case you disturb the nice snug fit of the piston inside the dash pot. Green Scotchbrite is a good thing to use if in doubt. Good luck and hope it turns out well! :D

wibble x 8)

ps if the thing is that badly corroded, check the inside of the holes where the ends of the throttle spindle fit. Not that I have any hard-won recent experience in this area... :roll: :wink: Very fine grit wet-and-dry wrapped round a suitable rod-shaped thing is the best for cleaning out any corrosion in there.

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Very fine grit wet-and-dry wrapped round a suitable rod-shaped thing is the best for cleaning out any corrosion in there.
You're not wrong in the method, but just a small point, that area tends to be well worn if the carb is old, so removing much more could cause more air to be sucked in.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - take great care with the piston and bell - just oil and cloth to clean them - perhaps just a little Brasso if sticky - nothing more abrasive! And as above -don't enlarge the spindle holes !
ImageImage
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

It's a pretty touchy job cleaning out the corrosion without enlarging the holes, that's for sure 8)

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Sounds like you are a bit beyond the "varnish & gum" style of carb internals! CAREFULL localised scraping with a blade can be good on old, watery based corrosion, prior to going for the scotchbrite. "Carpride" carb cleaner works for me on gummy bits, £1 at your local cheap shop, probably on the carcare product shelf, just next to the air fresheners! Rogerrust has posted fabulous pictures of his MGB carb and alternator, with details of how he done it.