Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stevespickup
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rebuilding carburretor

Post by stevespickup »

Hello all, my pick up project is now stuck on the carburretor, as its been stood for 18 years I need to strip and rebuild the carburretor, is there a rebuild kit available ? I also was wondering if it needs to be ultra sonically cleaned or is this un necessary, are there any parts I should be replacing? sorry for my ignorance, I come from a backgound of fuel injection and this carburretor is a new experience for me, Regards, Steve
Shawn
Minor Fan

Post by Shawn »

Generally, kits are readily available and not too expensive. The main thing to watch out for is wear in the throttle butterfly shaft, but these too can be replaced (with larger diameter items if required).

When I did this for the first time, I found a spare carb and played with it first. You'll need to identify what carb you have first; post a pic here and there'll be someone along in no time to help!
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/perrys/MinorSig.jpg[/img]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

ESM, BullMotif etc all sell rebuild kits. Main parts are needle, jet and a bunch of seals / gaskets. Once stripped out the componants can be cleaned with parrafin and carb cleaner then just reassemble with new needle and jet. The procedure is in the workshop manual but it is very easy to do.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just clean it and use it. It doesn't necessarily need 'overhauling'. As long as the piston glides up and down the bell - and the throttle and choke parts move smoothly - it will be fine. I cleaned up a pair of twin SUs I had 'in store' for 30 years - they worked fine !
ImageImage
Luxobarge
Minor Fan

Post by Luxobarge »

All the usual Morris Minor spares places will sell parts, but for folk who have forgotten more than most of us know about SU carbs and sell all the spares you could ever dream of, Burlen Fuel Systems is the place to go:

http://www.sucarb.co.uk/

Cheers :D :D
Some people are like slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you throw them downstairs.
stevespickup
Minor Friendly

Post by stevespickup »

Thank you for the positive and very helpfull advice, with the knowledge base available on this forum I should be able to get up and running sooner than i expected.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

As Shawn check the spindle closely my HS4 is that worn even the bearings are quite worn and they are being replaced by a pal with workshop facilities, if I had tried to use it as is it would have had a nice air leak and wouldn't have run correctly. There is also an ebay seller that sells overhaul kits.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706