Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Post by Kevin »

purplebargeken wrote:Cheers :lol:

I'll have more piccies at the weekend.

Umm, just a thought. When I join, will I belong to the London branch or the Herts branch (who meet at the Whitewebbs Museum, if they still do?). I live in Norf London, but work in Herts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi Ken you can join any branch you wish normally whatever is the most convienent, we actually have a few members who live in Middlesex (Ruslip,Pinner,Northwood) which technically is part of North London and Middlesex but as we are probably 15 miles nearer they joined us, we meet at London Colney on the edge of St Albans if that's any good to you if you want more info or details send me a pm.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Hiya, I used to live and work in London Colney. I used to work at Napsbury.
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

any news :)
I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Only that the V5 has arrived and work will commence. Haven't had any irate folk beating my door down asking for their car back.... yet.

I'm out for most of the weekend but should be doing some work on the car next week end though. Yay!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Maybe I should trawl back through the previous posts in case I've missed something, but what does the v5 say in the previous registered keeper space? (section 2) and for that matter, the date of original registration?
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

It lists a previous keeper in Wigan. The car has a 7 previous owners, but most were in the same family. The original registration was mid 1969 IIRC.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

So does that mean that (if you wished) you could perhaps get a written note from that owner legally signing vehicle over to you?
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

you could perhaps get a written note from that owner legally signing vehicle over to you?
Why? As stated before, the car is yours.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

the car is yours.
Sorry, I didn't know that was a fact!
Why?
I thought a reciept of some sort was required, if ownership changes'
well thats the usual way to swap ownership of things.
As I said earlier should have looked back over the posts, I would then have seen that everyone was already happy.
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

As I said before, becoming the registered keeper doesn't automatically make you the owner. At which point you become the owner in law is vague, but bear in mind that:

1) A couple of months of reasonable storage charges will easily exceed the market value of the Minor.
2) If the previous owner had any concerns about ownership it would be expected that the car would have been reported stolen to the police & DVLA. That has not happened.
3) If not stolen, the previous owner commited an offence by leaving an untaxed vehicle on the public highway (it doesn't matter that Minors are exempt from charges). To challenge the DVLA's change of keeper status they would have to 1)admit their culpability in evading the road tax and 2) having an uninsured vehicle on a public road.
Or 3) Failing to report a stolen vehicle.

The only thing I would say to Ken is keep any parts you remove for a reasonable period (12 months) in case there is a challenge. I bet it won't happen though, the car is effectively yours.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Hi Chris, I am treating the car as mine now. Obviously if something big and legal looms then as you say in the posting there are factors to take into consideration. I have everything in a box that has been removed from the car.... just in case.
simona1
Minor Fan
Location: Chairman West Yorkshire MMOC, Ossett, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Post by simona1 »

Any chance of some more photos of car would love to see what it looks like now.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'm rather bemused over this thread as it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that the previous owners details are now known? Assuming for the moment this is the case, wouldn't it settle any future concerns if he was told of the situation?
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Hopefully you won't be bemused after this bit Les. The DVLA, if they have been awake and doing their job properly will have already written to him at the address on the V5C before issuing it to me. He has either failed to respond or has said yes.

However, very recent information from uber reliable sources (which I can't disclose) have identified no-one at the address with his name details. His given address was at the other end of the counhtry from where the car was found, quite clearly abandoned. The car was not reported stolen either.

End of story as fas I am concerned now.
Ondergard
Minor Fan

Post by Ondergard »

You really shouldn't get friends in the Force to run PNC checks for private persons, you know, Ken - it's a sackable offence! :wink: :lol:
Pembrokeshire - God's Own County!
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

I have no idea what you mean :lol:

Moving swiftly on :lol: :lol: ........................................ today saw lots of bodywork being done. The rear o/s wing is all rust killed, teensy amount of filling done and primered. Everything was just surface rust apart from two bits on the bottom of the rea wing. Nothing compared to what I had to deal with on my Triumph.

Small dent on top of front o/s wing sorted the same way. Door bottom also sorted. Just got to do a small bit on the panel in front of the rear wing, about a 50p size grot patch. Had a look at the rear sping hangers, o/s has had a very neat little patch in the past and all looks solid. Spent more time cleaning the seats and they are looking good. Might try and get some paint on next week end. We'll see. Will try and post some piccies over the weekend.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

You really shouldn't get friends in the Force to run PNC checks for private persons, you know, Ken - it's a sackable offence!
friends at a clamping company, or balifs can do these kind of checks too... however they're not the type of friends I keep ;-)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

This is one of the most addictive stories to follow ever!!

Congratulations Purplebargeken!!!!!
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
purplebargeken
Minor Fan

Post by purplebargeken »

Cheers. Glad that everyone is finding it so interesting. I will only post to this thread if something dramatic happens :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have decided to focus now on the restoration of this little car. I have already started the thread in the general section. I hope everyone finds it as entertaining.

Thanks everyone.

Ken