Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tomothy94
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

replaced head gasket, now not starting at all

Post by tomothy94 »

well i suppose i'll start from the beginning. i've had my 1971 morris 1000 for about a month, and she has run perfectly fine - until last week that is, when she started accelerating very slowly and stopping randomly. we discovered that the problem was the head gasket being broken in between the 3rd and 4th holes - so we replaced it. before we replaced the head gasket the car started fine and although the idle was very rough we assumed it was because of the gasket. now we have replaced it and the car won't start at all - it's turning over really well so it isn't the battery, but there's no compression and its just not starting. please help if you have any advice, we really are stumped, and i can't afford ridiculous mechanic prices. thankyou.

ps, we cleaned the dizzy and made sure the spark plugs are in the right order. the dizzy is worn but the fact is that before we replaced the gasket it was still starting - now there is nothing :( :cry:
1971 maroon morris minor 1000. 'dorothy'.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: replaced head gasket, now not starting at all

Post by kennatt »

how do you know theres no compression now,how have you tested for it
tomothy94
Minor Friendly

Post by tomothy94 »

by turning the engine over while my dad puts his thumb over the spark plug (1) socket. i think he may have been confused as of course it wouldn't compress if it wasn't starting... sorry about that. basically it won't start and we haven't got a clue why :(
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

I suspect the clue maybe in your "p.s" i.e the distributor.
Did cleaning it, involve it's removal from the engine.If so,have you inadvertantly replaced it 180 degress out.
More likely however is an electrical wire /connection.Either not replaced or damaged.Check the coil to distributor wire ( black / white ).Wire to the coil, out of the loom ( white ) to the coil top.
Iternally ( distributor) is the thin black braided wire still secure.
Did to touch / replace the points ? Have they been re-assembled correctly ?
Is the little carbon, spring loaded contact in the top of the distributor cap still present ? or has it dropped out.
Do you possess a multi meter, to enable you to test that power is reaching the low tension side of the distributor ?
Check out the obvious first and report back for some further input from the Forum.
An indication of where you are in the country ( just the town would be fine, not your full address on the Internet ) might prompt a visit from a friendly mechanical minded owner to assist.Hopefully it will be straight forward...not a lot is complicated on a Minor.
Bob
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

First decide if it is a mechanical, fuel or electrical fault. Are you getting a spark, are you getting fuel, is everything correctly connected? Is the rotor arm still sitting on top of the battery
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Almost certainly it's the valve gaps - did you reset them after changing the gasket ????
ImageImage
tomothy94
Minor Friendly

Post by tomothy94 »

i can't see anything wrong with the distributor and the carbon is still there. how would i know if there was a fault? sorry this is my first car and i've already learned loads but am still in the process of learning.

no, we did not reset the valve gaps... could you please explain how i would? the valves are all moving fine when it is turning over if this helps.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Have you got a spark at the plug? Remove no 1 plug, attach the HT lead and hold it against a cylinder head stud with a pair of insulated pliers. Turn the ignition on and turn the engine over on the solenoid button. If you get a spark next check the fuel. Is the pump ticking? Undo the pump supply wire on the terminal on the end of the pump. Remove the fuel pipe from the carb, turn the ign. on and briefly touch the wire on pump terminal. It should spurt petrol.
Come back when you have checked that
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The valve gaps MUST be reset when the head has been removed..........read the manual. No wonder it has no compression.....
ImageImage
tomothy94
Minor Friendly

Post by tomothy94 »

all the plugs are sparking, yes. i am almost certain is a fuel problem... all the valves are moving correctly when cranking with the handle, but a mechanic (friend) is coming tonight to have a look. i think it must be a fuel problem myself. something i should have noted... there is a small wire that goes into the bottom off the carburettor. when removing the head i accidentally pulled it out.. could this be it? it look as though it is only a pipe and not a wire, but i can't tell :(
tomothy94
Minor Friendly

Post by tomothy94 »

i tried it by presing the starter button... no fuel spurted out. i am really sorry for being such a newbie guys i'm just terrible haha... but yeah, does this then mean that it is the pump that is broken?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

IT'S THE VALVE GAPS......... If you honestly think it's fuel - then tip an egg-cup of petrol down the carb and crank it - does it start??? The little 'wire' will be the vacuum pipe from the dizzy - not important re non-starting - but do stick it back in.......
ImageImage
tomothy94
Minor Friendly

Post by tomothy94 »

ok, ok. the fuel pump is working. i understand that you all think it is the valve gaps and i really appreciate your help.. but can i ask, how do i set them? i have looked and it's just not in terms that i understand, and there is no guide that i can find.. thankyou
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you don't have a workshop manual - Google for it - Morris Minor Workshop Manual. I'm not allowed to point you to one - but I'm sure you will find what you need with a free download. Also search YouTube - plenty of detailed explanations with video there. In short though - you need to remove the plugs, turn the engine so #1 valve is DOWN - then adjust #8 gap by loosening the lock nut and turning the screw using a 15 thou feeler as the gauge for the gap - poking it in the gap and adjusting as you go until it's 'just right' - then hold the screw tightly and nip up the nut - then finally check the gap again. Then move on - this time set #2 valve DOWN and adjust # 7 (this time a 12 thou feeler since it is an inlet valve) And then on you go - using the rule of 9. ie whichever valve is DOWN, take that number away from 9 and the answer is the valve to be adjusted next. Simples!
Edit - try this Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9RaJ64 ... re=related
Last edited by bmcecosse on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Best to get a manual, a set of feeler gauges and a new cork rocker cover gasket. It would take someone a while to type out instructions and find diagrams to scan etc. There are loads on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Morris ... 3a6b9ff128

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

PM sent on how to do it

Let us know how you get on

tomothy94
Minor Friendly

Post by tomothy94 »

i have the haynes manual! as luck would have it my dad arrived with one today. what i really don't get though is what a 'feeler' is... tehcnical terms are not my forté. i'm going to have a crack tomorrow or maybe tonight.. thankyou all
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

It's just a simple measuring device. It has several 'blades' of various thickness, and you select the blade(s) to get the required gap between the top of each valve and its corrsesponding rocker. It's all in the manual. And this is a feeler guage: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-10-Bla ... 231558da0c

tomothy94
Minor Friendly

Post by tomothy94 »

ok, so i just adjusted the valve gaps! thanks for your help with that. however, although she is now trying harder to start, she still just wont - i keep trying and she just ends up backfiring. :(
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Are you sure you have the spark plug leads connected in the right order?