I feel an engine build coming on... Maybe more...

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

I feel an engine build coming on... Maybe more...

Post by lukedauvergne »

Hi I'm sure this questions been asked before but I just want to double check.
1 I have a 1275 from a marina would a modified head for a 1275 mini bolt straight on?
2 same sort of question with a fast road cam. Can I get a mini cam and fit it in my marina engine?
3 I have marina axle and disks so my wheels are marina pcd as such I tried to fit alloys from an mgf as I heard they fit but I needed different wheel studs. Any ideas what wheel studs I need?

Thanks for your help
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Re: I feel an engine build coming on... Maybe more...

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

in answer to number 3, I used metro wheel studs, on the rear they were a direct swap, on the front mine where not a direct swap but most posters state that they had no problem with a direct swap at the front as well.
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

Buy youself tuning BL`s A Series engine by David Vizard. It will be the best £20 you ever spend if you intend to do any engine mods.

The main thing to check with the cylinder head is your compression ratio and if the valves hit anything, but in theory it will bolt on.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes and yes with Mini 1275 parts - and there is NO 'valve hitting' risk.......
ImageImage
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Midland Wheels supplied me with the correct and studs and nuts for my MGF alloys - http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/C-996-Studs.html
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

Regarding the head, pay attention to the bypass hose area. Some minis had the bypass blanked off, in which case you'll need to drill and tap it out, or block the corresponding hole in the water pump.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Block the water pump ----the bypass hose is a wretched thing.... Get rid of it!
ImageImage
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan

Post by lukedauvergne »

Excellent as far as the Cam shaft in concerned would I need new higher lifting rocker ATMs or will I be able to get away with the standard ones? Had a read through a mini magazine and they had these for sale thought obviously serve some purpose....

And I don't have the bypass hose on my engine 8)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 'high lift rockers' do have a purpose - they make lots of money for the folks selling them - and even more to others selling the parts that these rockers wear out in the engine. Spend ~ £100 for high lift rockers and gain ~ 1 bhp at the top end, and lose plenty low down. Don't do it!! Same with strong valve springs - absolutely no need - unless going 'racing' and genuinely intending to use high revs - in which case you need the engine to be built to take the revs -so budget a good £1000 or so for that......
ImageImage
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan

Post by lukedauvergne »

Oh ok then guess il give the high lift rockers a miss. I think the engine builds gonna be big valve head, fast road cam better flowing manifold and a webber carb. That should give me a bit more poke I hope.
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

bmcecosse wrote:The 'high lift rockers' do have a purpose - they make lots of money for the folks selling them - and even more to others selling the parts that these rockers wear out in the engine. Spend ~ £100 for high lift rockers and gain ~ 1 bhp at the top end, and lose plenty low down. Don't do it!! Same with strong valve springs - absolutely no need - unless going 'racing' and genuinely intending to use high revs - in which case you need the engine to be built to take the revs -so budget a good £1000 or so for that......

I have only had a brief read in Vizards book (not his latest so his thinking may have changed....) but he states "A typical 1275 engine will pick up in the region of 4 or so hp." He is talking about a standard cam. He mention of wear is regarding side loads on the valves and he says "Although side loads are not great when valve lifts of 300, 350 even 400 thou are used"

If you have not got Tuning BL`s A Series Engine by David Vizard I would recommend it. Ebay has quite a few copies going cheap.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Seriously - general experience shows the high lift rockers are a complete waste of money for a road car. They 'may' have a place in an out and out large capacity racer where air flow through the head is the limiting factor..... A better cam is the way forward for a road car. But I would NOT use a 'weber' carb........ Single HIF 44 on a good manifold is fine.
ImageImage