Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ScottS
MMOC Member: No

Care Home's Morris Minor - Help Needed!

Post by ScottS »

Hi all,

I work at a nursing home in Billericay, Essex, where we have a Morris Minor in the garden. The car is used as a form of therapy and activity for our residents - especially for those living with a form of dementia.

The car is a real talking point for all at the home, however it is looking a little worse for wear lately. It doesn't have an engine, but it was a restored example which is now in need of further restoration. It's not exactly falling apart, but I'd hate to see such a beautiful car deteriorate any further. It shouldn't be anything costly or major in terms of time - just someone with a bit of know-how.

Do you know anyone in the area who could volunteer their time and expertise? The team and residents at the home would really appreciate any help. We have good links with the local press and are happy to try and promote any partnership with MMOC via these channels.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place!

Many thanks,
Scott.
ScottS

Re: Care Home's Morris Minor - Help Needed!

Post by ScottS »

The car when she first arrived at the home!

Robbiet9999
Minor Fan

Post by Robbiet9999 »

Do you have any pics of her now.
Henrietta
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

What sort of work needs doing?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Hi, thanks for the replies. I've taken a couple of pics which hopefully show what would need to be done:

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The green algae in the second picture is usually superficial, unless the water in leaking into the rear. A good wash with a good quality car shampoo will remove this.

Is this car used on the road or is it just for people to sit in? If it is used the panels (lower door and rear of wing) can be welded/resprayed by a local garage. The panels are available.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

ASL642 wrote:The green algae in the second picture is usually superficial, unless the water in leaking into the rear. A good wash with a good quality car shampoo will remove this.

Is this car used on the road or is it just for people to sit in? If it is used the panels (lower door and rear of wing) can be welded/resprayed by a local garage. The panels are available.
It's just used for sitting in, but obviously the home are trying to keep it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Sorry, so would it need new panels or just respraying? Same for the roof?

Thanks
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

My apologies I misread your first post.
As the car is "just for fun in the garden" and doesn't need to meet any MOT requirements you could sand down the rusty bits on the roof - touch up with a primer, and then paint with brush/spray with a can.

It depends what kind of a budget you have. If you want to keep the car in good condition then you can get repair panels for the two areas of rust (bottom of door and rear of wing) These can be mail ordered from any morris supplier, and then a mobile welder could fit then for you. Again they would need priming and re spraying to match.

Or you could just sand down the rusty bits, fill with a car body filler, prime and sand. Car colour = Dove Grey Code GR26 ICI 3346 if you need to get a spray can made up.

There is an Essex branch of the MMOC contact Vikkimerrick at btinternet.com or ring 017eight7 47six330 who may be able to help.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
myminor1969
Minor Friendly

Post by myminor1969 »

Hi which care home is this at? I live in Billericay I may be able to help. I have owned my current minor for over 20years.
Alex

ScottS

Post by ScottS »

ASL642 wrote:My apologies I misread your first post.
As the car is "just for fun in the garden" and doesn't need to meet any MOT requirements you could sand down the rusty bits on the roof - touch up with a primer, and then paint with brush/spray with a can.

It depends what kind of a budget you have. If you want to keep the car in good condition then you can get repair panels for the two areas of rust (bottom of door and rear of wing) These can be mail ordered from any morris supplier, and then a mobile welder could fit then for you. Again they would need priming and re spraying to match.

Or you could just sand down the rusty bits, fill with a car body filler, prime and sand. Car colour = Dove Grey Code GR26 ICI 3346 if you need to get a spray can made up.

There is an Essex branch of the MMOC contact Vikkimerrick at btinternet.com or ring 017eight7 47six330 who may be able to help.

That's great, thank you for your help. Budget is minimal so I guess we'll discuss the options and perhaps look at trying some DIY!
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

myminor1969 wrote:Hi which care home is this at? I live in Billericay I may be able to help. I have owned my current minor for over 20years.
Alex
Hi Alex,
It's Anisha Grange Care Home in Outwood Common Road