Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jared
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rally minor

Post by Jared »

Just wondering, was there ever a rally minor produced? Would make a different restoration, and i fancy a new minor.
Dave@FJ

Re: Rally minor

Post by Dave@FJ »

Jared
Minor Friendly

Post by Jared »

very nice, but were there any cars raced in the 50s/60s?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

There is a good section (chapter 7) on racing Minors in Paul Skilleter's book 'The Worlds Supreme Small Car MORRIS MINOR' and the information below is extracted from that book for those that do not have access to it.

"The first big international event for the new Minor was the 1949 Monte-Carlo Rally, reg no: NWL 858 driven by the all women team of Barbara Marshall, Betty Haig and Mrs 'Bill' Wisdom".
"Bob Harrison raced his 1950 MM saloon into the late fifties in Australia" with a modified 918cc sv engine which could return similar times as a 997 Mini Cooper".
"A.J. Foster in the Alta 'works' MM managed to enter a number of important races - notably the 1954 Daily Express Silverstone meeting"
On page 164 of David Skilleter's book there is a picture of Pat Moss "hurling 'Granny' or NNO 993 round Prescott's Pardon hairpin in 1959". I have a similar picture of my Minor reg no: WDF 714 driven by myself competing in a Prescott speed hillclimb in 1972.

As regards my Minor she was used by myself in club driving test, sprints, production car trials and club/national speed hill climbs in the late 1960s and onward; there were quite a few modified Minors about then but of course the Minor was still in current production.
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

[frame]Image[/frame]

Jared
Minor Friendly

Post by Jared »

Great photo Welshrat, and thanks guys I may have to go and buy that book. I wonder what happened next to the MM, looks very sideways in the snowbank.