Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
busmanjohn
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Insurance for a young learner

Post by busmanjohn »

My son, who is 21, needs to learn to drive. His use of 'Dad's Taxi Service' is becoming a bit tiresome! Trouble is, neither of my insurers will cover him as an additional driver as he is under 25. FJ, who insure my Minor, won't touch him because he only has a provisional licence. Our only option is for him to take out insurance in his own name.

Ideally we want to have him learn on our (reasonably) modern Mazda but, as he is dead set on owning a Minor himself, learning in my Minor is a possibility, albeit remote.

Any suggestions on a suitable insurer or policy? Likely costs?

Thanks in advance.

[frame]Image[/frame]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reliable and durable, just like me.

Dave@FJ

Re: Insurance for a young learner

Post by Dave@FJ »

Footman James will insure him with a provisional licence but the policy and vehicle must be in his name. Sounds like an ideal opportunity for him to buy his own Minor if that's what he's interested in doing.

Be aware that some insurers, whilst offering cover for provisional licence holders, will ramp up the premium as soon as he has passed his test as, without adult supervision, the level of risk is increased. Whilst you would need to inform FJ that he has passed the premium will remain the same.

*Edited to add...he must also be a member of the MMOC
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Many years ago the MMOC club insurers covered my daughter to drive my Series MM as a named driver on a provisional licence, and that was without lots of 0000s on the premium
[sig]3580[/sig]
busmanjohn
Minor Friendly

Post by busmanjohn »

Dave@FJ wrote:Footman James will insure him with a provisional licence but the policy and vehicle must be in his name.
Can I contact you direct at FJ for a quote?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Go on, buy him a Minor............
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

busmanjohn wrote:
Dave@FJ wrote:Footman James will insure him with a provisional licence but the policy and vehicle must be in his name.
Can I contact you direct at FJ for a quote?
Unfortunately, I'm off for 3 weeks now. I get married on Saturday and then heading out with the new wifey to explore Thailand. If you ring the office on 0121 561 6250 - make sure you tell them he is (or is shortly to be) a member of the MMOC then someone will be happy to give you a quote.
jonlongley

Post by jonlongley »

I went through a similar conversation with Footman James for my Daughter in preparation of her passing her test, and getting the moggy I'm doing up for (and with) her on the road. I was told that she now requires regular use of another car in order to insure her in her own name in the moggy under their (new) 1st Young Enthusiast Policy. This is a change from a previous conversation I had a couple of years ago with FJ at a Morris Minor event, when they said they would be perfectly happy to insure her in a moggy as her only car.
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

jonlongley wrote:I went through a similar conversation with Footman James for my Daughter in preparation of her passing her test, and getting the moggy I'm doing up for (and with) her on the road. I was told that she now requires regular use of another car in order to insure her in her own name in the moggy under their (new) 1st Young Enthusiast Policy. This is a change from a previous conversation I had a couple of years ago with FJ at a Morris Minor event, when they said they would be perfectly happy to insure her in a moggy as her only car.
To clarify.....there is no requirement for the proposer to own, or have use of, an everyday vehicle on the MMOC scheme. This applies to all drivers whether they're 17 or 117
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Errr - while wishing you a very Happy Marriage. Dave ....have you noted that there has been a Military take over in Thailand, and travel is not advised...... I can recommend Tenerife....... :D
ImageImage
Dave@FJ

Post by Dave@FJ »

bmcecosse wrote:Errr - while wishing you a very Happy Marriage. Dave ....have you noted that there has been a Military take over in Thailand, and travel is not advised...... I can recommend Tenerife....... :D
LOL...Thanks Roy.

I've been keeping an eye on the political situation in Thailand since we booked it several months ago and I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. It's safer now than it's been in a long time! We'll keep well away from the known troublespots which are away from the tourist areas anyway. We're only in Bangkok for a couple of days before we head off exploring.

On the plus side, it's scared investors and their currency has devalued somewhat, it's just made our holiday slightly cheaper!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I'm sure that FJ will provide you with fully comp insurance for your trip, just quote your MMOC membership no!
Have a wonderful honeymoon :D
[sig]3580[/sig]
busmanjohn
Minor Friendly

Post by busmanjohn »

Thanks to all you guys for giving me advice. We hadn't planned on getting our son his own Minor yet and, as he still a student at college, he can't afford one until he's got his own income! Time for Plan B, methinks.