Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bidz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Oil Change - When To Stop

Post by Bidz »

New oil filter on it's way to me, as part of a service before the National.

I've got a 5L can of oil from Wilko's, and how am I meant to know when I've put enough in? Do I just pour it through the cap in the rockerbox cover?

Thanks in advance.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
brucek
Minor Addict

Re: Oil Change - When To Stop

Post by brucek »

Make sure car is on a flat surface. Buy a plastic measuring jug from supermarket, pour in 6.5 pints or 3.69 litres of oil through the filler cap in the rocker box. Refit filler cap. After ten minutes or so, check oil level on dip stick - should be on full mark. Job done - simples :-) :wink:

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Use some of the oil to fill the filter before refitting it. Before starting the engine spin it over on the starter motor with the plugs out until the oil pressure light goes out
[sig]3580[/sig]
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

mike.perry wrote:Use some of the oil to fill the filter before refitting it. Before starting the engine spin it over on the starter motor with the plugs out until the oil pressure light goes out
Hmmm. Oil pressure light? One of those I do not have.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

switch it on, on the speedo you will see two lights ,one red the other green marked ign and oil. The one marked OIL (green) is the light that you say you don't have.If you havent ,then re post for further advice.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You MUST have an oil pressure light - and you SHOULD have an oil pressure gauge.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

No oil pressure light on Series MM/early Series II. What year is car?
Oil pressure light is not necessarily green, could be amber.
[sig]3580[/sig]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i put about 4 litres in does not matter too much if you put a bit more in by mistake you should ba able to judge it from whats left in the can if its a 5 litre can there should be 20% left in .
[sig]5641[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Early minors had an oil pressure gauge..
However just like modern cars it wasn't considered 'essential' by the bean counters so later Minors only had a warning light. (and a charging system warning light)

for the oil, you should at least have an oil pressure warning light if nothing else!

As for oil level - add roughly 4 litres & leave for a few minutes, then spin engine with plugs out until oil light goes out, wait again and check level using dip stick and add if required.
Aim to get it at the top of dipstick level mark - that way it's easier to see if/when it looses/uses oil when checking it often during use.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

mike.perry wrote:No oil pressure light on Series MM/early Series II. What year is car?
Oil pressure light is not necessarily green, could be amber.
I see. I have one in the speedo, but I don't think it has ever lit up...
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It should light when you switch on the Ign - what DO you see then?
ImageImage
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

bmcecosse wrote:It should light when you switch on the Ign - what DO you see then?
Amber light on the right, only.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - that's the OIL PRESSURE warning light! But - you should have a 'Not charging' light too -usually RED.
ImageImage
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

bmcecosse wrote:Well - that's the OIL PRESSURE warning light! But - you should have a 'Not charging' light too -usually RED.
It's behind the IGN lens; is this wrong? There is no red light. The IGN plasti is amber, the OIL is green.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmm - well - regardless of colour - you should have TWO lights when switching on... Is there a wire to the oil pressure sensor - on the block -above the starter motor ?
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

It sounds like you might have a non-standard speedo - it's VERY unusual for the coloured lenses to be swapped, although quite common for the bulbs to be put in the wrong holder, and also common for bulbs to fail. Start by looking to the rear of the distributor. There should be a pressure switch screwed into the block, with a single wire coming from it. Disconnect the wire and short it to earth. Now turn on the ignition. What lights are showing? Remove the earth connection and re-check for lights. Report back.

For the next test of the ignition warning light, is the car standard dynamo or has it been converted to an alternator? Come to that, is it a standard engine? What year is the car, what size engine?
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

If you can post a few pics of what happens when we will be able to see what you have :-)

Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

simmitc wrote:For the next test of the ignition warning light, is the car standard dynamo or has it been converted to an alternator? Come to that, is it a standard engine? What year is the car, what size engine?
Alternator, 1965, fairly standard 1098