Fuel Catalysts

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chicbrydie
MMOC Member: No

Fuel Catalysts

Post by chicbrydie »

Has any of you chaps/chappesses ever used one of these Catalyst type thingumyjigs, 4 wee bits of metal in a plastic webbing type tube which gets placed in the tank to facilitate lead replacement? I was thinking of using one instead of the usual additives but I'm a bit unsure of the whole lead/unleaded debate. My old Landies don't seem to mind unleaded in their unconverted heads but I'm a wee bitty hesitant in relation to the delicate woodie.
Fuel Catalyst....good idea/bad idea?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Fuel Catalysts

Post by kennatt »

waste of money... Here he comes........................... :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
There seem to be lots of arguments for and against, plus allot on here seem to think that as long as you are only doing gentle local runs you don't need anything........
But who wants to be limited to gentle local runs!! 8)
I'd say use it as is until your engine needs work anyway, then invest in an (exchange) unleaded head. Problem solved.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
RichG
Minor Friendly

Post by RichG »

no i dont use one , i havent heard of any one having any problems with them , they are supposed to work , but who knows , the suppliers and manufacturers would say that wouldnt they , to sell them , i use a devise called a FUEL SAVER , that is supposed to do the same job ,it fits in the fuel pipe , aly tube with some thing the fuel passes over and pics it up on the way, but i only have there word for it lol , but anything is worth a try , Cant hurt !! , The only true way is to have your head converted , or replace it with one allraedy done , Expensive though ,

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Catalysts are a waste of time and money. Practical Classics ran tests when unleaded first came in, and catalysts failed completely. There are additives, usually liquid, that can be put in the tank, and these do work. Use one approved by the FBHVC, such as Castrol Valvemaster. There are other debates about whether you need an additive at all - I would say yes, others would say no. However, I think that virtually all of us agree on catalyst type products.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

just stick the valvemaster in untill the head needs changing
[sig]5641[/sig]
chicbrydie

Post by chicbrydie »

Thanks Guys,
Ah'm off to the shrink now..........., seriously though, you have been a help.
A' the best
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Here he is..... :D No need for anything - set 15 thou exhaust gaps and check/reset every 3000 miles... The fuel catalysts are 'snake oil' and [ content removed , by moderator - Ray]
worth using is Tetraboost - which contains lead and effectively makes 'leaded' petrol from unleaded. Not cheap though!
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

That took longer than I thought Roy, :D :D :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I've been away driving steam trains all day..... :D
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

The additives that have passed independent testing are PROVEN to work.
If you want to use an additive - it's worth using one of those.
Bear in mind that others available on the market were tested and FAILED the independent tests - many making no improvement at all compared to the baseline 'unprotected' engine. Swapping between additive types is also not recommended as certain combinations cancel each other out, as there is a cumulative effect from what's left behind.

Fuel catalysts:
The MMOC has previously reproduced articles (in club mag) on the lack of performance of various fuel catalysts, in order to help spread the awareness. Classic car owners have enough to spend money on without falling victim of false claims.
Based on the untold millions that the car industry spend on fuel economy research, if tin pellets / magnets etc.. were actually a benefit, they would be fitted on every new car sold - they're fitted to none at all.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(